IBM is a multinational technology and consulting company that is headquartered in Armonk, New York and was founded in 1911 by Thomas J. Watson. IBM is the largest technology and consulting company in the world with over 380,000 employees in over 170 countries.
In 2018, IMB was granted the most patents in a given year to an American company with 9,100 patents, including 3,000+ patents in the fields of quantum computing, cloud computing, and artificial intelligence (1,600 patents). IFI CLAIMS Patent Services announced as of January 2019 IBM has received the most U.S. patents every year compared to every other American companies for 26 consecutive years (from 1992 to 2018).
IBM CEO Arvind Krishna announces that the company would no longer sell facial recognition services, calling for a "national dialogue" on whether it should be used at all.
Wipro and IBM announce collaboration to develop hybrid cloud offering.
IBM and Amazon announce programs to encourage developers find solutions to a variety of problems related to COVID - 19.
IBM acquires Red Hat for $34 billion
Thomas J. Watson
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
IBM tops U.S. patent list -- again
January 8, 2019
- CompanyA company, abbreviated 'co.', is a legal entity made up of an association of people, be they natural, legal, or a mixture of both, for carrying on a commercial or industrial enterprise.
- Cluster: Quantum technologyA cluster of topics in quantum technology with applications outside of quantum computing.
- Cloud computingForm of internet-based computing that provides shared computer processing resources and data to computers and other devices on demand
- Artificial intelligence (AI)Artificial intelligence (AI) is intelligence exhibited by machines.
- Quantum computingThe study of computation systems that make use of quantum mechanical phenomena (eg entanglement and superposition). Quantum computers use qubits (rather than binary 0 and 1s) which can be in both states at the same time by being in a superposition of states.