New Wave Foods is a biotechnology company developing plant-based shellfish food products. The company is based out of San Francisco, California and was founded in 2015 by Dominique Barnes and Michelle Wolf.
New Wave Foods's primary product is New Wave Shrimp, a plant-based shrimp product made with seaweed and various plant proteins, primarily mung bean. Red algae, a common food in the diet of shrimp, is a primary ingredient in New Wave Shrimp. This helps mimic the color and flavor of real shrimp. It contains no animal products and no common allergens. It is also gluten-free (unbreaded products only) and certified Kosher. New Wave Shrimp is only available in restaurants and other food serving locations; it is not sold in retail stores. It is available in Breaded, Unbreaded, and Bakeable Cajun Breaded.
Algae or plant based edible compositions, application US20180084815A1 (2018-03-29), pending US15716272 (2017-09-26), PCT/US2017/053483 (2017-09-26), WO2018058119A1 (2018-03-29).
Algae or plant based edible compositions
Are These Insanely Realistic Fake Shrimp the Future of Sustainable Seafood?
Faux shrimp leads new round of plant-based proteins
New Wave Foods Foodservice Industry Brand Story
September 17, 2021
New Wave Foods’ sustainable shrimp from red algae |
Shrimp's Outrageous Slavery Problem—and How to Fix It
- Synthetic biologySynthetic biology is a multidisciplinary area of research that seeks to create new biological parts, devices, and systems or redesign systems already found in nature to have new abilities.
- StartupA startup company is an entrepreneurial venture in the initial stage of its operations. Startups are typically young businesses aiming to grow quickly and meet a marketplace need by developing or offering an innovative product, process or service.
- Cell-based and plant-based meatTopics related to cultured meat, plant-based meat, and cellular agriculture.
- CompanyA company, abbreviated as "Co." within a company name, is a legal entity made up of an association of people, be they natural, legal, or a mixture of both, for carrying on a commercial or industrial enterprise.
- Finless FoodsFinless Foods is a biotechnology company producing cultured marine animal food products through implementing cellular agriculture and manufacturing technologies.
- Plant-based meatPlant-based meat products are made to mimic properties found within natural meats and are considered to be meat substitutes. They are made using plant and other non-animal products to look, taste, and feel like meat products. Examples include: seitan, falafel, tempeh, Tofurky, Beyond Meat burgers, and Mock duck.
- Cultured meatCultured meats are animal flesh products made from extracted animal cells that are grown in bioreactors and harvested for consumption. Cells are taken from animals such as a chickens, cows, or tuna, and grown using scaffolding and/or self-organizing constructs in bioreactors.
- Cellular agricultureCellular agriculture is an interdisciplinary scientific field drawing from synthetic biology, genetic engineering, molecular biology, tissue engineering, biochemistry, and food science to design organisms capable of producing a wide variety of agricultural products.
- IndieBioA startup accelerator for biotechnology companies located in San Francisco, California.
- Show More