IndieBio is a biotechnology and life science startup accelerator located in San Francisco, California and was founded in 2014. Their accelerator program is based in San Francisco, CA, and runs twice a year, with 15 companies in each batch. IndieBio is part of the SOSV accelerator family and provides participating startups with lab space, $250,000 in funding, and a 4-month incubation program for scientists and entrepreneurs to grow their biotechnology business.
On July 25, 2018, IndiebBio announced their seventh class of founders and companies.
IndieBio Class Four
Indiebio Class Three
Indiebio Class One
Mentors of IndieBio
Felman Family Office
Institute of Computational Health Sciences, University of California San Francisco
DLA Piper LLP
OS Fund, Kernal
Female Algorithm Technologies, Leap Motion
Seven Bridges Genomics
Director of Rehabilitation Innovation, Mt Sinai Health System | Assistant professor of Rehabilitation Medicine, Ichan School of Medicine
Pembient uses advances in biotechnology to fabricate horn and other wildlife products to combat the threat to endangered species.
Indee Labs focuses on the development of microfluidic vortex shedding for rapidly and efficiently transfecting human primary immune cells with negligible perturbation. The team is focused on developing its core technology for short turnaround chimeric antigen receptor T cell (CAR-T) development and manufacturing.
New Wave Foods is a biotechnology company developing plant based alternative seafood products. The company is based out of San Francisco, California and was founded in 2015 by Dominique Barnes and Michelle Wolf.
Geltor is a cellular agriculture company making essential proteins, such as collagen and gelatin, using microbes in their own bio-fermentation recombinant protein production facility.
Finless Foods is a biotechnology company producing cultured marine animal food products through implementing cellular agriculture and manufacturing technologies.
Clara Foods is a biotechnology company founded by two New Harvest community members David Anchel and Arturo Elizondo in 2014. The company is based out of San Francisco, California and manufactures animal- free proteins using using yeast bio-fermentation techniques fore use in food products.
Prime Roots (formerly Terramino Foods) is a food company located in San Leandro, California, founded by Kimberlie Le and Joshua Nixon in 2017 producing a salmon meat substitute made from fungi.
Stelvio Therapeutics is a biotechnology company developing therapeutics for cancer.
A startup that is building microprocessor and other types of chips with wetware biological neurons. It has applications in sensing, control and computation.
NovoNutrients produce microbes that break down industrial emissions of carbon dioxide and reassemble them into aquaculture feed.
A cellular agriculture company creating meat cultured from animal cells.
Biotherapeutics company focused on medicines for chronic inflammation, metabolic disease and autoimmune disease
Immune-compatible gene therapy company.
A company developing high resolution neuro-imaging products.
Calyx (formerly BioInspira) is a company building a versatile sensor platform that can detect airborne chemicals.
Also known as Ava Winery, Endless West is a beverage startup that uses scientific production methods to create its blend of wines and spirits.
Convalesce is a company developing a stem cell based therapy for neurological conditions that leads to degeneration of neurons, like Parkinson's.
MYI Diagnostics is a biomedical research company that focuses on multiplexed proteomic profiling for medicine.
Carbix is a Quincy, Massachusetts-based company working to transform atmospheric carbon dioxide into carbonates to build industrial products.
Program director and partner
Managing director and founder
Scientific director and partner
Jun Axup, PhD
A Silicon Valley biotech hub that offers startups $250,000 in funding explains the 'secret sauce' to success
Quartzy partners with IndieBio to connect promising biotech startups with the lab supplies they need to drive scientific progress
IndieBio and Quartzy
Scientist.com and IndieBio Create Next Generation Innovation Marketplace to Accelerate Early Stage Biotech Research
Scientist.com and IndieBio
Tour the San Francisco lab that's growing meat in a petri dish
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
42 Questions with IndieBio - Can your company affect a billion people?
September 13, 2017
Arvind Gupta - IndieBio - Helping Scientists Use Biology and Technology to Solve Global Problems - Future Tech Podcast
June 25, 2018
Genetic Engineering at IndieBio
May 8, 2018
Indiebio - Jun Axup, Director Of Science - World's Largest Seed Bio-Technology Accelerator - Future Tech Podcast
January 9, 2018
IndieBio: Build the future of Biotech
January 3, 2017
NewCo Spotlight: IndieBio Is Turning Scientists Into Entrepreneurs
April 14, 2016
- Startup acceleratorSupport startups with funding, mentoring, training and events for a definite period (usually three months), in exchange for equity.
- Venture capitalA form of financing or funding for emerging companies. Investment on early-stage companies in exchange for equity in the companies they invest in.
- Cluster: Synthetic biologyA cluster of topics related to synthetic biology.
- Cluster: Cell-based and plant-based meatA cluster of topics related to cultured meat, plant-based meat, and cellular agriculture.
- StartupA startup company is an entrepreneurial venture in the initial stage of its operations. Startups are typically young businesses aiming to grow quickly and meet a marketplace need by developing or offering an innovative product, process or service.
- BiotechnologyBiotechnology can refer to the application of science and technology to living organisms or the use of living organisms, their parts, products or models thereof to solve a problem, produce knowledge or produce goods and services. Biotechnology may involve the alteration of living or non-living materials.
- RebelBioRebelBio is a startup accelerator backed by SOSV supporting companies creating products and services based on life science technologies.
- SOSVSOSV (formerly SOS Ventures) is a venture capital firm founded in 1995 by Sean O'Sullivan that provides growth, seed, and venture capital funding to startups. SOSV runs six seed accelerator programs: HAX Accelerator, Chinaccelerator, MOX, IndieBio, RebelBio, and Food-X.
- New Age MeatsA cellular agriculture company creating meat cultured from animal cells.