SOSV (formerly SOS Ventures) is a venture capital firm founded in 1995 by Sean O'Sullivan that provides growth, seed, and venture capital funding to startups. SOSV runs six seed accelerator programs: HAX Accelerator, Chinaccelerator, MOX, IndieBio, RebelBio, and Food-X. Each accelerator offers a 3-6 month co-located incubation/accelerator program and funding to selected start ups. According to SOSV, the acceptance rate of companies applying to become a part of their accelerators is less than 5%. SOSV has headquarters in the United States (Princeton, New Jersey; New York City, New York; and San Francisco, California), Europe (Cork, Ireland and London, England), and Asia (Shenzhen, China; Shanghai, China; and Taipei, Taiwan). SOSV typically invests in technology companies that focus on hardware, software, biotechnology, energy, robotics, medical devices and food.
Companies participating in an SOSV acellerator program
Mooresville, North Carolina, USA
Sunnyvale, California, USA
New York City, New York, USA
New York City, New York, USA
Alpha Revolution Inc
San Jose, California, USA
San Diego, California, USA
Aluna Medical Diagnostics
San Francisco, California, USA
Leamington, Ontario, Canada
Champaign, Illinois, USA
Amp you Good
New York City, New York, USA
Evanston, Illinois, USA
Synthace is a software company based out of London, UK building automation software that gives biologists the ability to control and analyze the performance of lab hardware.
Pembient uses advances in biotechnology to fabricate horn and other wildlife products to combat the threat to endangered species.
Indee Labs focuses on the development of microfluidic vortex shedding for rapidly and efficiently transfecting human primary immune cells with negligible perturbation. The team is focused on developing its core technology for short turnaround chimeric antigen receptor T cell (CAR-T) development and manufacturing.
A Canadian food biotech company focused on the development of hypoallergenic peanuts
Perfect Day Foods (formerly Muufri) engineered yeast capable of producing the proteins found in cows milk. They use these proteins to make their own line of animal-free dairy products.
New Wave Foods is a biotechnology company developing plant based alternative seafood products. The company is based out of San Francisco, California and was founded in 2015 by Dominique Barnes and Michelle Wolf.
Geltor is a cellular agriculture company making essential proteins, such as collagen and gelatin, using microbes in their own bio-fermentation recombinant protein production facility.
Finless Foods is a biotechnology company producing cultured marine animal food products through implementing cellular agriculture and manufacturing technologies.
Clara Foods is a biotechnology company founded by two New Harvest community members David Anchel and Arturo Elizondo in 2014. The company is based out of San Francisco, California and manufactures animal- free proteins using using yeast bio-fermentation techniques fore use in food products.
Because Animals is a pet food and cellular agriculture technology company founded in 2016 by Shannon Falconer and Joshua Erret, and is located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Because Animals makes 100% animal-free pet foods, treats, and supplements.
Prime Roots (formerly Terramino Foods) is a food company located in San Leandro, California, founded by Kimberlie Le and Joshua Nixon in 2017 producing a salmon meat substitute made from fungi.
Stelvio Therapeutics is a biotechnology company developing therapeutics for cancer.
Roquette is a French company focused on the production of plant-based food and nutrition ingredients for the food, beverage and pharmaceutical industries. The company was founded in 1933 by Dominique & Germain Roquette, and is headquartered in Lestrem, Nord-Pas-De-Calais, France.
Caspr Biotech is developing a CRISPR-based platform for rapid diagnostic systems for viruses, bacteria and genetic mutations
The Abbot's Butcher is a food company founded in 2016 by Kerry Song and headquartered in Costa Mesa, California, making plant-based meat alternatives.
A startup that is building microprocessor and other types of chips with wetware biological neurons. It has applications in sensing, control and computation.
Associated investment funds
Partner and program director
Anant Raj Pathak
Office of the managing director and investor relations
General partner and managing director
Director of platform services
General partner, SOSV and managing director
Partner, capital development
'Humanity's future is in the hands of engineers' - entrepreneur Seán O'Sullivan
Mary Anne Carriganmcarrigan@engineersireland.ieAdministratorEngineers Journal
From Humble Start to King of the Start-Up
Global Accelerator Report 2016 by Gust
SOSV Targets $250 Million For Fourth Flagship Fund - Crunchbase News
Jason D. Rowley
The Best Startup Accelerators Of 2017
This Startup's Recent Funding Could Be A Bridge For M'sian Businesses To Enter China
Dale John Wong
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- Venture capitalA form of financing or funding for emerging companies. Investment on early-stage companies in exchange for equity in the companies they invest in.
- Financial servicesEconomic service provided by the finance industry
- CompanyA company, abbreviated 'co.', is a legal entity made up of an association of people, be they natural, legal, or a mixture of both, for carrying on a commercial or industrial enterprise.
- IndieBioA startup accelerator for biotechnology companies located in San Francisco, California.
- HAX AcceleratorHAX Accelerator is a startup incubator providing funding and other resources to startups developing hardware, robotics, and connected devices. The company is run by SOSV, located in both Shenzhen, China, and San Francisco, USA, and was founded in 2011 by Cyril Ebersweiler and Sean O'Sullivan.
- RebelBioRebelBio is a startup accelerator backed by SOSV supporting companies creating products and services based on life science technologies.
- ChinacceleratorChinaccelerator, also known as China-Axlr8r, is China's first startup accelerator founded by Cryril Ebersweiler in Shanghai, China in 2010, and is one of six SOSV run accelerator programs. Chinaccelerator helps internet based startups grow their online business platforms through their 3-month long accelerator program.
- Food-XFood-X is one of SOSV's business accelerator programs that focuses on food related startups.
- Show More