New Crop Capital is a venture capital firm specializing in investing in companies producing products or services set to replace conventional animal agriculture — particularly the practice of factory farming. New Crop Capital is based in Washington, D.C. and was founded by Bruce Friedrich, Chris Kerr, and Nick Cooney in 2015. The company primarily provides angel, seed, and series A funding ranging from $50,000 to $1M. Their areas of interest include food technology, cellular agriculture, distribution systems, and plant-based consumer goods that help replace animal products with products that are plant based or made using cellular agriculture. Notable companies New Crop Capital has invested in include: Aleph Farms, Memphis Meats, Beyond Meat, Geltor, Mosa Meat, and SuperMeat.
New Crop Capital fund I
On March 17, New Crop Capital announced their first venture capital fund closing with $25 million in capital.
Dao Foods International
Beyond Meat makes plant-based meat alternatives such as burgers, sausages, chicken strips, and ground beef. Beyond Meat was founded in 2009 by Ethan Brown and is based in Los Angeles, California.
New Wave Foods is a biotechnology company developing plant based alternative seafood products. The company is based out of San Francisco, California and was founded in 2015 by Dominique Barnes and Michelle Wolf.
Aleph Farms is an Israeli cellular agriculture start-up founded by Didier Toubia and Shulamit Levenberg in 2017 developing technologies for culturing meat products into 3D structures.
Good Catch Foods makes 100% plant-based seafood alternatives that are gluten, dairy, and GMO free. Good Catch Foods offers three fresh fish-free tuna products; naked in water, Mediterranean, and olive and herb. They also offer frozen seafood alternatives such as crab-free cakes, fish-free sliders, and fish-free burgers.
Ocean Hugger Foods is making a plant-based raw tuna substitute called Ahimi out of a mixture of 5 ingredients; tomatoes, filtered water, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sugar. The company is located in New York City, New York and was founded in 2015.
Geltor is a cellular agriculture company making essential proteins, such as collagen and gelatin, using microbes in their own bio-fermentation recombinant protein production facility.
SuperMeat is an Israeli biotechnology company, founded on December 15, 2015. SuperMeat is working to develop chicken meat products cultured from extracted chicken cells.
Good Dot is a plant-based protein manufacturer and food technology company operating out of Udaipur, India. The company was founded in 2016 by Abhishek Sinha, Stephanie Downs, Deepak Parihar, Taranum Bhatia, and Shruti Sonali.
Sunfed Meats is a company located in New Zealand making plant-based meat substitutes primarily out of pea proteins. Sunfed's Chicken Free Chicken was the companies first pea protein based product to be sold on the market; with double the protein of chicken and triple the iron of beef.
A manufacturing company making plant-based dairy products out of almond milk.
NovaMeat produces 3D printed plant-based meat substitutes through food printing and tissue engineering technologies.
A cellular agriculture company making fresh and frozen cultured seafood products.
Chief Investment Officer
Dan Altschuler Malek
Sr. Venture Partner
Food's future: New VC firm and nonprofit among investors in natural, organic startups
Futuristic food made in labs named Memphis Meats
Thomas Bailey Jr.
Meet the New Meat
More plant-based products are needed to fuel a “market-revolution” away from animals, expert says
New Crop Capital Closes $25m Fund, Invests in Beyond Meat
Sizzling Steaks May Soon Be Lab-Grown
The Next Agricultural Revolution - New Crop Capital - Medium
New Crop Capital
Venture capital fund seeks start-ups: Must be sustainable, innovative & ready to make money
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- Investment fundInvestments funds are a collective pools of capital from multiple investors used to purchase securities and other assets.
- CompanyA company, abbreviated 'co.', is a legal entity made up of an association of people, be they natural, legal, or a mixture of both, for carrying on a commercial or industrial enterprise.
- Cluster: Cell-based and plant-based meatA cluster of topics related to cultured meat, plant-based meat, and cellular agriculture.
- Venture capitalA form of financing or funding for emerging companies. Investment on early-stage companies in exchange for equity in the companies they invest in.
- The Good Food InstituteAn organization promoting clean meat, plant-based meat, and clean eggs and dairy as alternatives to traditional animal-based products.
- Clean meatClean meat is a term coined by The Good Food Institute representing meat products made using cellular agriculture and tissue engineering techniques. Other terms for clean meat include: cultured meat, in-vitro meat, and synthetic meat.
- Cultured meatCultured meats are animal flesh products made from extracted animal cells that are grown in bioreactors and harvested for consumption. Cells are taken from animals such as a chickens, cows, or tuna, and grown using scaffolding and/or self-organizing constructs in bioreactors.
- Plant-based meatPlant-based meat products are made to mimic properties found within natural meats and are considered to be meat substitutes. They are made using plant and other non-animal products to look, taste, and feel like meat products. Examples include: seitan, falafel, tempeh, Tofurky, Beyond Meat burgers, and Mock duck.