Mosa Meat is a clean meat company located in Maastricht, Netherlands making cultured meat products using stem cells from living animals. Video explaining the process Mosa Meat uses to produce cultured beef. Mosa Meat made the world's first cultured beef burger for $332,000, funding contributed by Google Co-Founder Sergey Brin, and presented it to tasters on August 5, 2013. Cultured meat made by Mosa Meat is planned to be for sale by 2021, with prices estimated at $3.60/pound according to the Good Food Institute.
In 2013 co-founder of Google Sergey Brin contributed $1 million to create the world's first cultured beef burger.
In July 2018 Mosa Meat announced Series A funding of €7.5m ($8.8m). Lead investors included Bell Food Group, the largest meat processor in Switzerland, and M Ventures, the VC of Merck. As reported by The Wall Street Journal, the partnership with M Ventures could open doors to Merck's deep expertise in cell culture technology. The strategic partnership with Bell Food Group brings strong downstream capabilities in meat processing and distribution.
Total Raised: €7,500,000
Lead Investors: Bell Food Group, M Ventures
MosaMeat made their first cultured beef burger for $332,000 and presented it to tasters on August 5, 2013.
Total Raised: $330,000
Investor: co-founder of Google Sergey Brin
Cultured beef for food-security and the environment: Mark Post at TEDxMaastricht
May 11, 2014
First lab-grown burger tried and tested in London
August 5, 2013
Is lab-grown meat really meat? The legal battle has already begun | Verdict
Verdict staff writer
Lab-grown meat is inevitable. Will we eat it?
Launch of burger made from Cultured Beef on 5 August 2013
August 6, 2013
- Synthetic biologySynthetic biology is a multidisciplinary area of research that seeks to create new biological parts, devices, and systems, or to redesign systems that are already found in nature to have new abilities.
- Cell-based and plant-based meatTopics related to cultured meat, plant-based meat, and cellular agriculture.
- Cellular agricultureCellular agriculture is an interdisciplinary scientific field drawing from synthetic biology, genetic engineering, molecular biology, tissue engineering, biochemistry, and food science to design organisms capable of producing a wide variety of agricultural products.
- Cultured meatCultured meats are animal flesh products made from extracted animal cells that are grown in bioreactors and harvested for consumption. Cells are taken from animals such as a chickens, cows, or tuna, and grown using scaffolding and/or self-organizing constructs in bioreactors.
- Upside FoodsUpside Foods is a San Francisco-based company making cultured meat products. The company was founded by Uma Valeti, Nicholas Genovese, and Will Clem.