Aleph Farms (previously Meat-the-Future) was co-founded in 2017 by Israeli food-tech incubator The Kitchen, a part of the Strauss Group Ltd., and the Technion, a public research university.
Aleph Farms goal is to create products which have the same texture and shape as meat from conventional animal farming — such as steak. The company is pioneering technologies that allow cultured meat products to move beyond simple structures using one or two types of cells, such as ground beef, to more conventional meat cuts. Their technologies allow for several cell types to be grown into complex shapes; which has traditionally been a limiting factor for cultured meat companies.
Their approach is to create a 3 dimensional scaffolding within their bioreactors which is seeded with multiple cell types including muscle fibers, connective tissue, blood vessels, and fat. These cells grow together into the structure of steak directly onto the scaffold with the bioreactor, rather than being manually combined afterwards.
In 2017 Aleph Farms became a member of the Strauss Group food-tech incubator called The Kitchen. After Aleph Farms began having success in the Strauss Group incubator program, Strauss Group invested an undisclosed amount of seed funding into Aleph Farms.
In 2017 Aleph Farms became a member of the Strauss Group food-tech incubator called the Kitchen. After Aleph Farms began having success in the Strauss Group incubator program, Strauss Group invested an undisclosed amount of seed funding into Aleph Farms.
Founding of Aleph Farms
Aleph farms was founded by Didier Toubia and Shulamit Levenberg, along with Strauss Group, in 2017 .
Co-founder and CEO
Vice president of research and development
Co-founder and CSO
Aleph Farms CEO on its 3D cultured beef: 'Unlike other companies, our meat grows together like real meat'
Aleph Farms Expands Production of Clean Meat | Project NOSH
Beyond Burger(s): Aleph Farms Wants to Grow Steak Outside the Animal
Israel's Aleph Farms Unveils 'World's First' Lab-Grown, Slaughter-Free Steak
The company behind America's favorite hummus has funded an under-the-radar effort to make lab-grown steak
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
Didier Toubia of Aleph Farms - Clean Meat Founders Series
August 29, 2018
Neta Lavon - Aleph Farms - Futurist For Food
September 26, 2018
- Cluster: Cell-based and plant-based meatA cluster of topics related to cultured meat, plant-based meat, and cellular agriculture.
- StartupA startup company is an entrepreneurial venture in the initial stage of its operations. Startups are typically young businesses aiming to grow quickly and meet a marketplace need by developing or offering an innovative product, process or service.
- CompanyA company, abbreviated 'co.', is a legal entity made up of an association of people, be they natural, legal, or a mixture of both, for carrying on a commercial or industrial enterprise.
- Cultured meatCultured meats are animal flesh products made from extracted animal cells that are grown in bioreactors and harvested for consumption. Cells are taken from animals such as a chickens, cows, or tuna, and grown using scaffolding and/or self-organizing constructs in bioreactors.
- Cellular agricultureCellular agriculture is an interdisciplinary scientific field drawing from several disciplines such as synthetic biology, genetic engineering, molecular biology, tissue engineering, biochemistry, and food science to design organisms capable of producing a wide variety of agricultural products.
- Mosa MeatMosa Meat is a Dutch start-up company that makes and commercializes clean meat, meat made by growing animal cells directly rather than slaughtering animals.
- Memphis MeatsCompany making cultured meat based in San Francisco founded by Uma Valeti, Nicholas Genovese and Will Clem.
- SuperMeatSuperMeat is an Israeli biotechnology company, founded on December 15, 2015. SuperMeat is working to develop chicken meat products cultured from extracted chicken cells.
- Show More