Aleph Farms is an Israeli cellular agriculture start-up founded by Didier Toubia and Shulamit Levenberg in 2017 developing technologies for culturing meat products into 3D structures. Their goal is to create products which have the same texture and shape as meat from conventional animal farming — such as steak. The company is pioneering technologies that allow cultured meat products to move beyond simple structures using one or two types of cells, such as ground beef, to more conventional meat cuts. Their technologies allow for several cell types to be grown into complex shapes; which has traditionally been a limiting factor for cultured meat companies.
Their approach is to create a 3 dimensional scaffolding within their bioreactors which is seeded with multiple cell types including muscle fibers, connective tissue, blood vessels, and fat. These cells grow together into the structure of steak directly onto the scaffold with the bioreactor, rather than being manually combined afterwards.
In 2017 Aleph Farms became a member of the Strauss Group food-tech incubator called The Kitchen. After Aleph Farms began having success in the Strauss Group incubator program, Strauss Group invested an undisclosed amount of seed funding into Aleph Farms.
The company is also supported by US and European venture capital firms and plans to close a Series A round in 2018.
Methods for differentiating and purifying pancreatic endocrine cells
Pancreatic cells, animal cell lineage differentiation, pluripotent cell and induced pluripotent stem cell differentiation
In 2017 Aleph Farms became a member of the Strauss Group food-tech incubator called the Kitchen. After Aleph Farms began having success in the Strauss Group incubator program, Strauss Group invested an undisclosed amount of seed funding into Aleph Farms.
Founding of Aleph Farms
Aleph farms was founded by Didier Toubia and Shulamit Levenberg in 2017.
Co-founder and CEO
Vice president of research and development
Co-founder and CSO
Abigail Klein Leichman
Tyson Foods invests in Israeli clean-meat startup
Beyond Burger(s): Aleph Farms Wants to Grow Steak Outside the Animal
The company behind America's favorite hummus has funded an under-the-radar effort to make lab-grown steak
Aleph Farms CEO on its 3D cultured beef: 'Unlike other companies, our meat grows together like real meat'
Aleph Farms Expands Production of Clean Meat | Project NOSH
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- Cluster: Synthetic biologyA cluster of topics related to synthetic biology.
- Cluster: Plant-based and clean meatA cluster of topics related to cultured meat, plant-based meat, clean meat and cellular agriculture.
- StartupA startup company is an entrepreneurial venture in the initial stage of its operations. Startups are typically young businesses aiming to grow quickly and meet a marketplace need by developing or offering an innovative product, process or service.
- CompanyA company, abbreviated 'co.', is a legal entity made up of an association of people, be they natural, legal, or a mixture of both, for carrying on a commercial or industrial enterprise.
- Cultured meatCultured meats are animal flesh products made from extracted animal cells that are grown in bioreactors and harvested for consumption. Cells are taken from animals such as a chickens, cows, or tuna, and grown using scaffolding and/or self-organizing constructs in bioreactors.
- Cellular agricultureCellular agriculture is an interdisciplinary scientific field drawing from several disciplines such as synthetic biology, genetic engineering, molecular biology, tissue engineering, biochemistry, and food science to design organisms capable of producing a wide variety of agricultural products.
- Mosa MeatMosa Meat is a Dutch start-up company that makes and commercializes clean meat, meat made by growing animal cells in a laboratory rather than animal slaughter.
- Memphis MeatsCompany making cultured meat based in San Francisco founded by Uma Valeti, Nicholas Genovese and Will Clem.
- JUST, Inc.JUST, Inc. (formerly known as Hampton Creek) is a food technology company developing and selling plant based food products around the world.
- Show More