Just, Inc. (formerly known as Hampton Creek) is a food technology company developing and selling plant based food products around the world. The company is based out of San Francisco and was founded in 2011 by Joshua Tetrick and Josh Balk.
Just, Inc. makes a variety of plant based substitutes for foods which normally contain animal products. Products include Just Mayo, Just Cookies, Just Eggs, cultured meats, and more.
The Just Egg is a plant-based egg replacement and does not contain any antibiotics or cholesterol. Just Egg products are primarily made from mung beans.
Just Mayo is a plant-based (primarily pea protein) alternative to egg based mayo products. There are several flavours of Just Mayo sold by Just Inc, they are: mayo, chipotle mayo, Sriracha mayo, garlic mayo, truffle mayo, and awesome sauce (tartar substitute).
Just Dressing is a line of plant-based salad dressing replacements that include ranch, chipotle ranch, caesar, thousand, and sweet mustard.
Just Cookie Dough is made without eggs and are plant based products. There are three flavours to choose from chocolate chip, birthday cake, and chocolate mint.
Aug 16, 2016
Kholsa Ventures, Horizons, Marc Benioff, OS Fund, Velos Partners, Eduardo Saverin, Jean Piggozzi, Brian Meehan, Founders Fund, Collaborative Fund
WP Global Partners
Uni-President Enterprises Corporation
Tao Capital Partners
Horizons Ventures Logo
Industrial production of meat
Method for producing tissue engineered meat for consumption
In 2015, the CEO of Just Inc (the company was called Hampton Creek at the time) Josh Tetrick brought nine allegations against the American Egg Board (AEB) and accused the AEB of conspiring against his company. The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) launched an official year long investigation into claims made by Just Inc's CEO Josh Tetrick. The USDA concluded that the AEB did not break the law, but did exhibit inappropriate behaviour and issued "etiquette and ethics" training as a corrective measure.
On August 12, 2015 Just Inc received a warning letter from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) saying that "The use of the term 'mayo' in the product names and the image of an egg may be misleading to consumers because it may lead them to believe that the products are the standardized food, mayonnaise". Despite the FDA's initial stance on Just Mayo, the FDA would eventually approve the labelling of Just Mayo as an appropriate name.
Just Inc was accused of running an undercover buyout program of their own Just Mayo products in late 2014. Contractors working for Just Inc were instructed to go into stores and purchase 20 jars of Just Mayo and to call into stores pretending to be someone looking to come in and purchase Just Mayo with the goal of convincing stores to order more Just Mayo from Just Inc. CEO of Just Inc, Josh Tetrick, says that contractors were ordered to go into stores and purchase Just Mayo as part of their own quality assurance program, and was not running a buy back program to artificially boost the perceived popularity of their Just Mayo products. Bloomberg reports that Just Inc spent $77,000 buying Just Mayo across the country on their self proclaimed quality assurance program.
Funding Round Amount Raised: $150,000,000
Total Amount Raised: $372,530,000*
Lead Investors: Khosla Ventures, Horizons Ventures
Investors: Bill Gates, Founders Fund, Collaborative Fund, AME Cloud Ventures, Ash Patel, Eagle Cliff Partners, Jessica Powell, New Ground Ventures, Scott Banister, BlackPine Private Equity Partners, Demis Hassabis, Eduardo Saverin, Marc Beinoff, Mustafa Suleyman, Blue Horizon, Radicle Impact, Ali Partovi, Hadi Partovi, Kat Taylor, Far East Ventures, Tao Capital Partners, WP Global Partners, Jean Piggozzi, Velos Partners, OS Fund
Post-Money Valuation: $1,100,000,000
*Estimated $2-5MM devoted to clean meat
A Peek Inside JUST’s Clean Meat Lab
Cell-Based Meat Patent Analysis Part 1: Memphis Meats and Just
Founders Fund Backs Its First Food Tech Startup, Hampton Creek Foods, With A $1M Investment
Here's Why Hampton Creek's Entire Board Just Quit
- Synthetic biologySynthetic biology is a multidisciplinary area of research that seeks to create new biological parts, devices, and systems or redesign systems already found in nature to have new abilities.
- CompanyA company, abbreviated as "Co." within a company name, is a legal entity made up of an association of people, be they natural, legal, or a mixture of both, for carrying on a commercial or industrial enterprise.
- Cell-based and plant-based meatTopics related to cultured meat, plant-based meat, and cellular agriculture.
- Plant-based meatPlant-based meat products are made to mimic properties found within natural meats and are considered to be meat substitutes. They are made using plant and other non-animal products to look, taste, and feel like meat products. Examples include: seitan, falafel, tempeh, Tofurky, Beyond Meat burgers, and Mock duck.
- Joshua TetrickAmerican social entrepreneur and speaker.
- Josh Balk
- Food technologyFood technology is the science and technology related to techniques and principles for preserving food and food substances.
- Cellular agricultureCellular agriculture is an interdisciplinary scientific field drawing from synthetic biology, genetic engineering, molecular biology, tissue engineering, biochemistry, and food science to design organisms capable of producing a wide variety of agricultural products.
- Show More
Dawson SewellWriting about startups.
Alex DeanHealthcare Research Analyst @ Veradigm | Masters in Biostatistics/Epidemiology: UC Berkeley | BA in Biology: Wesleyan University
Melanie ManipulaHelping organize knowledge.
Carla FaragunaGolden People and Operations.
Katrina-Kay PettittData Duchess @ Golden
Duzenko AndreyExtensive experience in development and interaction with the community
Amy SarData acquisition Golden, computational linguist
Seotaek Leeinterested in web3
Jude GomilaFounder and CEO of Golden, Entrepreneur. Investor in 200+ companies. Cantabrigian (Gonville and Caius). Interested in the Universe.