Goop began as a newsletter in 2008 and then was incorporated in 2011. According to Gwyneth Paltrow, the company's name came from someone telling her successful internet companies have double O's in their name.
in 2016, Paltrow moved the company's operations to the US from the UK following her separation from Chris Martin and Gersh left the position of CEO. The position remained vacant until early 2017, when the board named Paltrow, who had previously announced in 2016 that she would be stepping away from Goop, to fill the post.
In 2018, Goop began assembling an internal science and regulatory team. Goop in partnership with Google also began selling Google Home smart speakers and accessories in the Goop Lab stores and holiday pop-up shops, and opened its first permanent East Coast Goop store called Goop Lab in Manhattan. This follows the permanent location in Brentwood, California in September 2017.
In 2018, Goop raised $50 million in Series C funding from firms including NEA, Lightspeed and Felix Capital. The company's valuation rose to $250 million.
- goop by Juice Beauty, a makeup and skincare
- goop Label, a fashion line
- goop Fragrance, an all-natural fragrance line including perfume and scented candles
- goop Wellness, which sells GMO and gluten-free vitamins and other supplements
- G. Sport Sessions, a range of fitness programs offered in partnership with Westin Hotels and Resorts launched in 2018
- cb2 x goop, a furniture and home décor line in collaboration with Crate and Barrel, launched in August 2018