Chai Biotechnologies (also known as Chai and Chai Bio) is a Santa Clara, CA based biotechnology company founded in 2013 building real-time PCR, qPCR and devices that detect pathogens, speciate meat and genotype DNA.
The company's molecular biological technology based devices include Open qPCR thermocycler and OpenPCR endpoint thermocyclers which are used for to detect any Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) or Ribonucleic acid (RNA) sequence, pathogen, virus and can also perform genetic genotyping, enabling doctors to carry out DNA testing easily at a comparatively low cost.
Real-Time PCR is used in diagnostic applications ranging from food safety to viral diagnostics, as well as numerous research applications. Chai markets to brewing companies with their qPCR technology that can be used for detecting contamination quickly and earlier in the manufacturing process.
Chai Biotechnologies offers the Sahara Hot Start PCR Master Mix with high thermal stability and uses an aptamer-based hot start system to reduce non-specific amplification and primer dimers. The product also contains ingredients that inactivate PCR inhibitors to allow amplification from crude extracts of blood, food and beverages, plant and animal tissue and environmental and water samples.
Chai Bio will release a test that can be used with swabbing of areas like door handles and hard surfaces in the environment for SARS-CoV-2 testing. The test is intended for detection of the novel coronavirus in schools, senior centers, first responders, hackerspaces and community labs, public health departments and individuals. Instruments to run the test are currently available as the test would run on their open hardware Open qPCR machine based on BeagleBone Black. An open sourced RNA extraction control system and internal amplification system will be used to prepare the viral RNA from swabs for analysis. The BeagleBoard.org Foundation is working with Chai to make machines and test kits available in communities and makerspaces through board donations and has interest in promoting the technology around the world.
Chai Biotechnologies launches Open qPCR™, the world's first open-source Real-Time PCR Thermocycler
Chai Launches First Saliva-Based COVID-19 Surveillance Test Kit To Help Schools And Businesses Reopen Safely
October 12, 2020
Chai Open qPCR: Prof. Allen's Pioneering Research in DNA Nanotechnology
Open qPCR: the $4,299 Real-Time PCR Machine | Chai
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- Synthetic biologySynthetic biology is a multidisciplinary area of research that seeks to create new biological parts, devices, and systems, or to redesign systems that are already found in nature to have new abilities.
- CompanyA company, abbreviated as "Co." within a company name, is a legal entity made up of an association of people, be they natural, legal, or a mixture of both, for carrying on a commercial or industrial enterprise.
- BiotechnologyBiotechnology in a broad sense includes the use of living systems and organisms, as well as their parts for the development or production of products.
- COVID-19COVID-19 is the abbreviated name for coronavirus disease 2019, a respiratory disease caused by a novel coronavirus strain called SARS-CoV-2. COVID-19 was first detected in Wuhan City, China and the outbreak was declared a pandemic on March 11, 2020 by the World Health Organization.
- Open-source biotechnologyOpen Source Biotechnology is the extension of the principles of commerce-friendly, commons-based peer production exemplified by Open Source software development to the development of research tools in biomedical, agricultural, and general biotechnology.
- OpenPCRA thermocycler machine producing company
- BiotechnologyBiotechnology can refer to the application of science and technology to living organisms or the use of living organisms, their parts, products or models thereof to solve a problem, produce knowledge or produce goods and services. Biotechnology may involve the alteration of living or non-living materials.