McAfee is an American cybersecurity company headquartered in Santa Clara, California. The company provides a range of online security solutions:
- Antivirus protection
- Identity protection
- Parental controls
- Malware protection
- Firewall support
McAfee, originally named McAfee Associates, was founded in 1987 by John McAfee. The company combined with Network General in 1997 and was renamed Network Associates (NAI).
In 2010, McAfee was bought by Intel in a cash deal worth $7.68 billion ($48 per share). In January 2014, Intel renamed McAfee to Intel Security, distancing it from the name of its founder. In 2017, the company became McAfee again, with Intel spinning McAfee out. Asset management firm TPG took a 51% stake (Intel retaining a 49% stake) in the company at a $4.2 billion valuation.
On March 8, 2021, McAfee sold their enterprise business to Symphony Technology Group for $4 billion. About the sale, McAfee president and CEO Peter Leav said:
This transaction will allow McAfee to singularly focus on our consumer business and to accelerate our strategy to be a leader in personal security for consumers
In November 2021, McAfee was acquired by a consortium of six investment firms for $14 billion. The consortium consists of Advent International, Permira Advisers, Crosspoint Capital Partners, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, GIC Private Limited, and a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority. Advent and Permira led the acquisition. In a press release on the same day of the sale, McAfee announced a net revenue increase of 24% to $491 million, and 640 thousand new direct-to-consumer subscribers bring the total to 20.1 million.
McAfee's product range includes the following:
- McAfee® Total Protection
- McAfee® Gamer Security
- McAfee® Identity Protection Service
- McAfee® Security Scan Plus
- McAfee® WebAdvisor
- McAfee® Techmaster Concierge
- McAfee® Virus Removal Service
Consortium made up of Advent International, Permira Advisers, Crosspoint Capital Partners, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, GIC Private Limited, and a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority.
Consortium led by private equity firm Symphony Technology Group.
The company name reverts back to "McAfee".
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
What Does Security Mean to You?
November 17, 2020
- CybersecurityCybersecurity is the protection of software, hardware, and data from digital attacks for the purpose of accessing, changing, destroying, interrupting, or extorting assets and information.
- Ransomware protectionRansomware protection is protocol and software designed to protect against ransomeware malware.
- Computer securityInformation security as applied to computers and networks
- OrganizationAn organization or organisation is an entity comprising multiple people, such as an institution or an association, that has a collective goal and is linked to an external environment.
- TechnologyTechnology is the making, modification, usage, and knowledge of tools, machines, techniques, crafts, systems, and methods of organization