The Shojinmeat project is an open-source, non-profit, citizen science community interested in DIY bio cellular agriculture and the development of cultured meats. The shojinmeat project was founded by Yuki Hanyu in 2014 and is based in Tokyo, Japan. The project is named after "shojin ryori" a Japanese Buddhist cuisine and reflects various values such as the commitment to nonviolence against animals and an avoidance of waste.
The group is in interdisciplinary organization with clusters of individuals from different technical and non-technical fields including research and development, culture medium, communication, ethics, and more. The project holds citizen science as its core value and reaches out to students and other do-it-yourself enthusiasts. As of December 2018, developments in the project include DIY incubator, DIY culture medium, kitchen cell culture protocols and high school cell culture class.
The Shojinmeat project spun off a startup company Integriculture Inc. The scientific research on how to make cell-based meats is open-source and shared with the public, while the business logistics around scaling and sales is proprietary to Integriculture Inc.
A Japanese food startup is giving high school kids meat-growing machines
Shojinmeat is Growing a DIY Clean Meat Community
Shojinmeat Project wins SingularityU Japan, Global Impact Challenge
GitHub hardware blueprint
あなたが"夢の発明"の主役!? DIYバイオ最前線 - NHK クローズアップ現代+
NHK (日本放送協会) - Japanese state television
Web article, TV program
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- Cellular agricultureCellular agriculture is an interdisciplinary scientific field drawing from several disciplines such as synthetic biology, genetic engineering, molecular biology, tissue engineering, biochemistry, and food science to design organisms capable of producing a wide variety of agricultural products.
- Cultured meatCultured meats are animal flesh products made from extracted animal cells that are grown in bioreactors and harvested for consumption. Cells are taken from animals such as a chickens, cows, or tuna, and grown using scaffolding and/or self-organizing constructs in bioreactors.
- Yuki HanyuFounder and CEO of Integriculture Inc.
- Memphis MeatsCompany making cultured meat based in San Francisco founded by Uma Valeti, Nicholas Genovese and Will Clem.
- Mosa MeatMosa Meat is a Dutch start-up company that makes and commercializes clean meat, meat made by growing animal cells directly rather than slaughtering animals.
- Show More