The Shojinmeat project is an open-source, non-profit, research group interested in the development of cultured meats. Cultured meat is grown from in vitro animal cell-cultures rather than livestock farming. The shojinmeat project was founded by Yuki Hanyu in 2015 and is based in Tokyo, Japan. The project is named after "shojin ryori" a Japanese Buddhist cuisine and reflects various values such as the commitment to nonviolence against animals and an avoidance of waste.
The group is in interdisciplinary organization with clusters of individuals from different technical and non-technical fields including research and development, culture medium, communication, ethics, and more. The project also encourages citizen science, by reaching out to students and other do-it-yourself enthusiasts.
The Shojinmeat project also functions in tandem with the startup company, which spun off the project. The scientific research on how to make cultured meats is open-source and shared with the public, while the business logistics around scaling and sales is proprietary to the Integriculture.
The project has made cell cultured foie gras, which requires less physical complexity than other foods such as burgers.
A Japanese food startup is giving high school kids meat-growing machines
Shojinmeat is Growing a DIY Clean Meat Community
Shojinmeat Project wins SingularityU Japan, Global Impact Challenge
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- Cellular agricultureCellular agriculture is an interdisciplinary scientific field drawing from several disciplines such as synthetic biology, genetic engineering, molecular biology, tissue engineering, biochemistry, and food science to design organisms capable of producing a wide variety of agricultural products.
- Cultured meatCultured meats are animal flesh products made from extracted animal cells that are grown in bioreactors and harvested for consumption. Cells are taken from animals such as a chickens, cows, or tuna, and grown using scaffolding and/or self-organizing constructs in bioreactors.
- Yuki HanyuFounder and CEO of Integriculture Inc.
- Memphis MeatsCompany making cultured meat based in San Francisco founded by Uma Valeti, Nicholas Genovese and Will Clem.
- Mosa MeatMosa Meat is a Dutch start-up company that makes and commercializes clean meat, meat made by growing animal cells directly rather than slaughtering animals.
- Show More