Celgene Corporation is an American biotechnology company that discovers, develops and commercializes medicines for cancer and inflammatory disorders. It is incorporated in Delaware and headquartered in Summit, New Jersey and was founded in 1986 by Robert Harris and Sol Barer. The company's major product is Revlimid (lenalidomide), in combination with dexamethasone for the treatment of multiple myeloma patients. Revlimid is also approved in the United States for the treatment of patients with transfusion-dependent anemia due to Low- or Intermediate-1-risk Myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) associated with a deletion 5q cytogenetic abnormality with or without additional cytogenetic abnormalities. Revlimid is sold through proprietary risk-management distribution programs to ensure safe and appropriate use of these pharmaceuticals. Vidaza is approved for the treatment of patients with MDS. Celgene Cellular Therapeutics, a subsidiary, is a public cord blood bank.
There are hundreds of clinical trials at major medical centers evaluating compounds from Celgene. Investigational compounds are being studied for patients with incurable hematological and solid tumor cancers, including multiple myeloma (MM), myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS), chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL), non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL), pancreatic cancer, non-small lung cancer, and melanoma.
- In 1986, Robert Hariri and Sol Barer founded Celgene, originally a unit of the Celanese Corporation. It was spun off as an independent company following the merger of Celanese Corporation with American Hoechst Corporation.
- In August 2000, Celgene acquired Signal Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- In December 2002, Celgene acquired Anthrogenesis. In March 2008, Celgene closed its $2.9 billion acquisition of Pharmion Corporation.
- In December 2009, Celgene announced the acquisition of Gloucester Pharmaceuticals.
- In January 2012, Celgene and Avila Therapeutics, Inc., a privately held biotechnology company developing targeted covalent drugs that treat diseases through protein silencing, announced a definitive merger agreement under which Celgene Corporation will acquire Avila Therapeutics, Inc.
- In 2014, Celgene and OncoMed Pharmaceuticals entered into a cancer stem cell therapeutic development agreement encompassing Demcizumab and five other biologics from OncoMed's pipeline.
- Also in 2014, Sutro Biopharma entered into a strategic collaboration and option agreement with Celgene Corporation to discover and develop multispecific antibodies and antibody drug conjugates (ADCs).
- In April 2015, Celgene announced it would commence a collaboration with Astrazeneca, worth $450 million.
- In June 2015 Celgene announced it had licensed Lyceras RORgamma agonist portfolio for up to $105 million.
- In July 2015, the company announced it would acquire Receptos for $7.2 billion in a move to strengthen the company's inflammation and immunology areas.
- In May 2016, the company announced it would launch a partnership with Agios Pharmaceuticals, developing metabolic immuno-oncology therapies.
- In October, the company acquired EngMab AG for $600 million.
- In January 2017, the company announced it would acquire Delinia for $775 million, increasing the company's autoimmune disease therapy offerings.
- In January 2018, Celgene announced it would acquire Impact Biomedicines for $7 billion. In the same month, the company announced it would acquire Juno Therapeutics for $9 billion.
Celgene Corporation discovers, develops, and commercializes therapies for the treatment of cancer and inflammatory diseases worldwide. It offers REVLIMID, an oral immunomodulatory drug for multiple myeloma (MM), myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS), and mantle cell lymphoma; POMALYST/IMNOVID to treat multiple myeloma; OTEZLA, a small-molecule inhibitor of phosphodiesterase 4 for psoriatic arthritis and psoriasis; and ABRAXANE to treat breast, non-small cell lung, pancreatic, and gastric cancers. The company’s products also include IDHIFA for the treatment of adult patients with relapsed or refractory acute myeloid leukemia (rrAML) with an isocitrate dehydrogenase-2 mutation; VIDAZA, a pyrimidine nucleoside analog for intermediate-2 and high-risk MDS, chronic myelomonocytic leukemia, and AML; THALOMID to treat patients with MM; and ISTODAX, an epigenetic modifier. Its preclinical and clinical-stage product candidates include small molecules, biologics, and cell therapies for immune-inflammatory diseases, myeloid diseases, epigenetics, protein homeostasis, and immuno-oncology. The company has agreements with BeiGene, Ltd; Acceleron Pharma, Inc.; Agios Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; bluebird bio, Inc.; Lycera Corp.; Juno Therapeutics, Inc.; and EXSCIENTIA LTD.
Celgene has acquired 14 organizations. One of their acquisitions was Juno Therapeutics on Jan 22, 2018. They acquired Juno Therapeutics for $9B. The intellectual property of Celgene includes 585 registered patents primarily in the 'Medical Or Veterinary Science; Hygiene' category. Additionally, Celgene has registered 342 trademarks with the most popular class being 'Pharmaceutical, veterinary and sanitary products'. Celgene has made 55 investments. One of their investments was on Feb 7, 2019, when they invested $60.8M in HiberCell.
In the first major pharmaceutical deal of the year, Bristol-Myers Squibb said on Thursday that it would buy Celgene, which makes cancer drugs, in a cash-and-stock deal valued at $74 billion.
Celgene agrees to pay up to $7 billion for the biotechnology company Impact Biomedicines, to enter market for blood-disease drugs.
Celgene agrees to pay $280 million to settle claims that it marketed Thalomid and Revlimid for unapproved uses.
Celgene raises a $12,400,000 series B round.
Celgene raises a $7,250,000 series A round from Kraft Group.
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- BiotechnologyBiotechnology can refer to the application of science and technology to living organisms or the use of living organisms, their parts, products or models thereof to solve a problem, produce knowledge or produce goods and services. Biotechnology may involve the alteration of living or non-living materials.