The liquid handling systems Labcyte develops use sound to precisely transfer liquids without contact, eliminating the use of pipettes. Labcyte instruments are used in pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries, as well as by hospitals, service laboratories, contract research organizations, and academic institutions. Labcyte has 62 U.S. patents and others internationally.
Echo Acoustic Liquid Handlers are able to dispense in 2.5 or 25 nanoliter increments from source plates, upwards, onto inverted destination plates, where they are suspended with surface tension.
Acoustic droplet ejection (ADE) technology uses the gentle energy of sound waves to move liquids at nanoliter resolution. The technology does not contact the liquid in any way, avoiding the risk for sample loss, carryover or cross-contamination, and enables miniaturization with fluid transfers at volumes as low as 2.5 nanoliters.
Labcyte has integrated its acoustic liquid handling technology with mass spectrometry in a process referred to as Acoustic-MS. Acoustic-MS has been shown to deliver high-quality data at extremely low volumes. As part of the agreement, prototype systems will be installed at select Merck sites where they will be evaluated within the context of existing and future workflows.
Labcyte is one of the founding members of the Genome Project-write (GP-write) Industry Advisory Board, which is charged with developing complete workflow solutions for laboratories participating in the project. The company has an agreement with the Center of Excellence for Engineering Biology (CEEB), which oversees GP-write. The agreement includes providing preferred pricing and support to researchers at qualified laboratories affiliated with and contributing to the GP-write mission and goals. Labcyte will also provide selected researchers with early access to certain newly developed products.
Labcyte announced that the company has entered an agreement with Merck to utilize Acoustic-Mass Spectrometry in drug discovery and development.
Heidi Tu, PhD
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- Cluster: BiotechnologyA cluster of topics related to biotechnology.
- CompanyA company, abbreviated as "Co." within a company name, is a legal entity made up of an association of people, be they natural, legal, or a mixture of both, for carrying on a commercial or industrial enterprise.
- Cluster: Synthetic biologyA cluster of topics related to synthetic biology.
- Acoustic droplet ejection
- Genome Project-writeGenome Project-write (GP-write) is an open international research project that plans to reduce costs of engineering and testing large genomes in cell lines for the purpose of understanding the blueprint of life. GP-write includes whole genome engineering of human cell lines and other organisms that have relevance to agriculture and public health.