BlueRock is using their Cell plus Gene platform to produce cell therapies for replacement of damaged or degenerated tissue. BlueRock’s neurology pipeline focuses on Parkinson’s Disease and engineering microglia for other neurological disorders. Their cardiology pipeline includes cell therapy for heart failure using cardiomyocytes. For autoimmune diseases, the company is designing macrophage cell therapies. BlueRock is using ex vivo engineering to enable cells to produce enzymes, antibodies and other proteins with therapeutic benefit.
Cell therapy candidates are based on induced pluripotent stem (IPS) cell technology. The company’s approach is based on iPSC intellectual property invented by Shinya Yamanaka of Kyoto University in Japan and licensed from iPS Academia Japan, which manages iPSC IP.
BlueRock has partnerships with Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and Toronto-based Centre for Commercialization of Regenerative Medicine (CCRM).
In December 2018, BlueRock partnered with The McEwen Stem Cell Institute at the University Health Network (UHN) in Toronto’s MaRS Discovery District. A new pilot Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) facility will open in 2019.
On December 12, 2016 BlueRock Therapeutics completed their series A funding round with $225 million in funding from Versant Ventures and Bayer AG.
Emile Nuwaysir, Ph.D.
President and CEO
Gordon Keller, Ph.D.
Lorenz Studer, M.D.
Michael A. Laflamme, M.D., Ph.D.
Robert Deans, Ph.D.
Viviane Tabar, M.D.
$225M BlueRock Therapeutics "monster" a magnet for Canada's biotech sector
BlueRock Therapeutics Strengthens Collaboration with the McEwen Stem Cell Institute
BlueRock Therapeutics: A regenerative medicine game-changer
What You Need to Know About BlueRock Therapeutics
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- Cluster: Stem cell technologyTechnology used for isolating, generating, growing and controlling the differentiation of stem cells into specialized cells and the application of stem cell technology for medical and non-medical purposes such as producing meat through cellular agriculture.
- Cluster: BiotechnologyA cluster of topics related to biotechnology.
- Clinical trialA form of scientific investigation using human volunteers receiving a medical intervention set out by a research plan or protocol.
- TorontoCapital city of province of Ontario, Canada
- BayerGerman multinational pharmaceutical, chemical, and agricultural biotechnology company
- CanadaCountry in North America
- Induced pluripotent stem cellInduced Pluripotent Stem Cells, abbreviated as iPS cells or iPSCs, are generated in the laboratory by treating adult differentiated cells from sources such as skin, with factors that reprogram the cells to an undifferentiated pluripotent state. The cells can then be treated with factors that signal the cells to differentiate into another cell type.
- Show More