Mission Barns is a cellular agriculture company working to produce cultured (clean) meat products. The company was founded on March 2, 2018 by David Bowman, and the former director of cellular agriculture of Just Inc, Eitan Fischer. The company is headquartered in Berkeley, California.
When Eitan Fischer left Just Inc to start his own company, he did so with hopes to bring clean meat products to market sooner. Jacy Reese from the Sentience Institute commented on Eitan Fischer leaving Just Inc, to start Mission Barns saying “Many of the leaders of the clean meat industry are focused on making clean meat available and growing market share as quickly as possible. There’s tons of room for more companies in the space, so this will inevitably mean some leaders leave larger companies to start new ones.”
CSO of Mission Barns, David Bowman, claims the technology Mission Barns is using to make clean meat products have the potential to create chicken breasts that fit perfectly inside a skillet.
In September 2018, Mission Barns was focused on and had successfully grown animal fat, which it mixed into other ingredients to make duck sausages.
Mission Barns raises a $3,500,000 seed round from Purple Orange Ventures, Better Ventures, Tectonic Capital and Cantos Ventures.
Co-founder and Chief Scientific Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Clean meat, consumer attitudes and the transition to a cellular agriculture food economy
Director of ‘Lab-Grown’ Meat at Controversial Food Producer Leaves to Start New Company
Ryan F. Mandelbaum
Meat Labs Pursue a Once-Impossible Goal: Kosher Bacon
Tech Startup JUST Exec Starts New Cultured-Meat Brand
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- Cluster: Cell-based and plant-based meatA cluster of topics related to cultured meat, plant-based meat, and cellular agriculture.
- Cluster: Synthetic biologyA cluster of topics related to synthetic biology.
- Cellular agricultureCellular agriculture is an interdisciplinary scientific field drawing from several disciplines such as synthetic biology, genetic engineering, molecular biology, tissue engineering, biochemistry, and food science to design organisms capable of producing a wide variety of agricultural products.
- CompanyA company, abbreviated 'co.', is a legal entity made up of an association of people, be they natural, legal, or a mixture of both, for carrying on a commercial or industrial enterprise.
- Just, Inc.Just, Inc. (formerly known as Hampton Creek) is a food technology company developing and selling plant based food products around the world.
- Clean meatClean meat is a term coined by The Good Food Institute representing meat products made using cellular agriculture and tissue engineering techniques. Other terms for clean meat include: cultured meat, in-vitro meat, and synthetic meat.