Golden Recursion Inc. logoGolden Recursion Inc. logo
Advanced Search
Defense Information Systems Agency

Defense Information Systems Agency

United States Department of Defense combat support agency providing information technology and communications support.

The Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) is an agency within the United Sates Department Of Defense tasked with providing, operating, and ensuring command and control and information sharing capabilities for U.S. military leaders, senior leadership in the executive branch, joint warfighters, and other mission partners.

The DISA reports to the Department of Defense Chief Information Officer (DOD CIO). The Office of the DOD CIO is the department's primary authority for the policy and oversight of information resources management, to include matters related to information technology (IT), network defense, and network operations.

Services and capabilities

The DISA has a public listing of its services and capabilities on its website. The agency offers and supports software and services to U.S. and allied defense forces to address a wide range of technical needs:

Budget and size

In 2020, the DISA has a total budget of $9.4 billion and receives funding through both congressional appropriations of $2.2 billion and a Defense Working Capital Fund (DWCF) of $6.9 billion.

As of February 2020, the DISA's total workforce consists of 8,893 people, of which 1,692 are active duty service members and 7,199 are civilians. 55% of the agency's workforce is based at Fort Meade, the Pentagon, and elsewhere in the National Capital Region (NCR). The remaining 45% of its workforce is stationed at field offices throughout the world.

Timeline

Patents

Further Resources

Title
Author
Link
Type
Date

News

Title
Author
Date
Publisher
Description
July 26, 2021
WebWire
Today IBM (NYSE: IBM ) announced key additions to its Washington, DC based Federal Global Business Services team. In May, the Biden administration issued the Executive Order on Improving the Nation's Cybersecurity, which establishes a framework for the U.S. government to develop and issue new requirements in key areas including, software supply chain security, threat information sharing, and federal IT modernization and procurement. These new hires reflect IBM...
April 9, 2021
WebWire
Honeywell ( NYSE: HON ) announced that four of its mobile computers have received Security Technical Implementation Guide certification from the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA). Honeywell is the first rugged mobile computer provider with advanced data capture capabilities to achieve this accreditation. This certification and validation gives U.S. Department of Defense workers the opportunity to use the CK65, CT60 XP, CT40 XP and CN80G mobile computers to increase produc...
Zack Whittaker
May 8, 2020
TechCrunch
Current and former prisoners were notified of the breach on May 1.

References

Golden logo
By using this site, you agree to our Terms & Conditions.