Osin Biotechnologies is a biotechnology company using DNA-targeting interventions to reduce pathologies associated with aging and to increase longevity that is headquartered in Seattle, Washington and was founded in 2014 by Garry Hudson and Matthew Scholz.
Oisin is targeting senescent cells due to their connections with age-related diseases. Senescent cells are cells that have been irreversibly damaged and cease dividing. The mechanism is thought to prevent damaged cells from turning cancerous. Senescent cells secrete molecules causing inflammation, which normally attracts immune cells for clearance of these cells but aging results in accumulation of these cells. Clearing of senescent cells has been shown to reduce negative effects of aging and to extend lifespan in mice.
SENSOlytics is the proprietary technology of Oisin. The system introduces an exogenous apoptotic gene transiently into cells that is expressed only in cells that have an active p16 gene. Expression of p16 is a characteristic of senescent cells. The senescent cells are induced to commit suicide and their system is reduces senescent cells by 80% in cell culture and significant reductions are reported in naturally aged mice.
Spinout company OncoSenX is using similar technology to target and kill cancer cells.
An Interview with Gary Hudson of Oisin Biotechnologies, Senescent Cell Clearance Startup
John Lewis at Undoing Aging 2018
May 30, 2018
Surviving the Zombie Cell Apocalypse with Stephen Hilbert from Oisin Biotechnologies
September 7, 2018
The rise of Oisin Biotechnologies
Ariel VA Feinerman
- BiotechnologyBiotechnology in a broad sense includes the use of living systems and organisms, as well as their parts for the development or production of products.
- Synthetic biologySynthetic biology is a multidisciplinary area of research that seeks to create new biological parts, devices, and systems, or to redesign systems that are already fou nd in nature to have new abilities.
- BiotechnologyBiotechnology can refer to the application of science and technology to living organisms or the use of living organisms, their parts, products or models thereof to solve a problem, produce knowledge or produce goods and services. Biotechnology may involve the alteration of living or non-living materials.
- Human LongevityHuman longevity is a long duration of human life. Human longevity research aims to understand the mechanisms of aging and how aging and longevity are influenced by genetic, environmental and nutritional factors. Certain lines of research aim to extend human longevity.
- Anti-AgingThe process of lessening, preventing, or reversing biological effects associated with aging.
- Synthetic biologyInterdisciplinary branch of biology and engineering, applying multiple disciplines to build artificial biological systems for research, engineering, and medical applications.