Nick Szabo is an American computer scientist and legal scholar famous for his work in cryptography, digital contracts, cryptocurrencies, and inventing the concept of smart contracts. He attended the University of Washington, and graduated with a computer science & engineering degree. He would later go on to hold an honorary professorship at the Universidad Francisco Marroquin.
Nick Szabo created the predecessor to Bitcoin with similar advanced math and cryptography algorithms to Bitcoin called bit gold.
He published the BitGold proposal in 1998, a decade before Satoshi Nakamoto released the paper on Bitcoin.
Some people believe that Nick Szabo played a crucial role in the development of Bitcoin, even going so far as to claim that he is Satoshi Nakamoto the creator of Bitcoin, although Szabo denies that he is Satoshi. Szabo made the following statement regarding accusation of him being Satoshi Nakamoto:
I will say this, in the hope of setting the record straight: I’m not Satoshi, and I’m not a college professor. In fact, I never was a college professor.
All-Star Panel: Ed Moy, Joseph VaughnPerling, Trace Mayer, Nick Szabo, Dr. Craig Wright
November 12, 2015
Crypto Profiles: Nick Szabo, The Quiet Cryptocurrency Pioneer
Is There Any Doubt This Man Created Bitcoin?
Jeff John Roberts
Nick Szabo - History of the Blockchain
November 14, 2015
Nick Szabo - Keynote - Smart Contracts Symposium
December 12, 2016
- PeoplePlurality of persons considered as a whole
- Computer scienceComputer science is the study of the theoretical foundations of information and computation as well as the practical concerns for designing and building computers.
- Blockchain and cryptocurrencyTopics related to blockchain and cryptocurrency.
- CryptocurrencyA cryptocurrency (or crypto currency) is a digital asset designed to work as a medium of exchange using cryptography to secure the transactions and to control the creation of additional units of the currency. Cryptocurrencies are a subset of alternative currencies, or specifically of digital currencies.
- Smart contract (blockchain)A smart contract (self-executing contract, blockchain contract) is an agreement between parties that is enforced by a program encoded onto a blockchain which executes code exactly as originally written.
- Satoshi NakamotoSatoshi Nakamoto is the pseudonym for the person or group who designed and developed bitcoin.