Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. was founded 9 Nov. 1847, when 15 Cleveland men interested in exploring the vast iron ore deposits on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan formed the Cleveland Iron Mining Co. It was incorporated in Michigan in 1850 and reorganized in Ohio 3 years later.
The company was formerly known as Cliffs Natural Resources Inc. and changed its name to Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. in August 2017.
Cleveland-Cliffs has been traditionally recognized as the largest and oldest independent iron ore mining company in the United States. The Company is vertically integrated, from mined raw materials, direct reduced iron, and ferrous scrap to primary steelmaking and downstream finishing, stamping, tooling, and tubing and downstream with hot and cold stamping of steel parts and components. It has the advantage of being self-sufficient with production of the raw materials for our steelmaking operations.
With ongoing initiatives to reduce waste, improve water conservation, and reduce carbon emissions by 25% by 2030, it officially promises to become North America's leader in steelmaking and mining sustainability.
It serves a range of markets through offering of flat-rolled steel products and supplies steel to the automotive industry.