Caroline Black is a lawyer in the field of corporate and enterprise investigations, based mainly between London and New York. She has served for more than a decade as a senior advisor to corporations and individuals implicated in some of the largest and most complex fraud investigations worldwide. Ms Black advises companies, boards of directors, and internal auditors as a criminal defence lawyer on submitting to investigations and negotiating with national agencies both in the UK and abroad.
Ms Black's practice concentrates on the investigation and defence of corporate criminal allegations, especially those involving fraud, money laundering, tax evasion, corruption, and other white collar crimes. She has hands-on expertise in counselling clients on how to handle raids on both commercial and personal properties, as well as how to react to and fight regulatory or criminal prosecutions.
Black is a partner at Dechert LLP, a multinational legal practice with approximately 1,000 lawyers in 24 offices across the United States, Europe, the Middle East, and Asia. Currently, she maintains a robust advising and compliance organisation, assisting both national and international corporations to identify and mitigate potential corruption risks to their businesses. By helping to create and implement compliance and risk-mitigation strategies, MsMs Black is a powerful asset to organisations not only in a defence capacity but also proactively to avoid problems before they arise.
Lawyer Caroline Black received a comprehensive education in law with a focus on corporate law, fraud, and criminal defence.
Nottingham Law School
LPC, Law | 2001 - 2002
The University of Birmingham
LLB, Law | 1997 - 2000
Lord Williams, Thame
1989 - 1997
Caroline Black has worked as a Senior Associate and Partner for Dechert, LLP since July 2011, taking part in numerous notable initiatives in corporate investigations and white collar crime. Prior to her joining the team at Dechert, Ms Black worked as a Solicitor for DLA Piper from her graduation from Nottingham Law School in 2002 to July 2011, when she joined Dechert, LLP.
Caroline Black is or has been involved in the following organisations, groups, or associations:
- Fraud Lawyers Association
- Proceeds of Crime Lawyers Association
- Female Fraud Forum
- Law Society Rule of Law and International Human Rights Group
- Financial Crime Experts: Networking Group
- Women In Compliance
- FCPA Criminal Practice Group
- Lawyer Innovation Network
- The Law Society of England & Wales International Group
- The European Compliance Network
- White Collar Law Group
- Female Partners In Private Practice
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) Anti-Corruption Compliance Group
- Anti-Corruption Experts: Networking Group
- Young Fraud Lawyers Association
Ms Black has also had the honour of working with the following national organisations:
- UK Serious Fraud Office
- National Crime Agency
- Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs
- United States and other foreign law enforcement agencies
Caroline Black has a number of notable accomplishments at this stage in her legal career, particularly after being involved in several high-profile fraud cases where her skills were needed at the forefront.
Ms Black has garnered the following titles:
- Up and Coming White Collar Crime Practitioner, Chambers UK
- Leading Individual for Regulatory Investigations and Corporate Crime, The Legal 500 UK
- Future Leader for Investigations, Who's Who Legal
- Expert for White Collar Crime in the UK, Euromoney’s Expert Guides 2019
- Rising Star for Litigation, Legal Week 2016
- Rising Star, London Superlawyers
- Remarkable women in law worldwide, GIR's Women In Investigations 2015
As a Senior Associate and then Partner of Dechert, LLC, Ms Black has been included in the following:
- Most Important Development of the Year, Global Investigations Review (GIR) Awards
- White Collar Practice Group of the Year, Law360
- International Litigation and Disputes Team of the Year, British Legal Awards
- Conduct, Enforcement or Business Crime Team of the Year, The Lawyer
- Investigation Team of the Year, C5 Women in Compliance Awards
- Best Provider Collaboration, American Lawyer
- Most Impressive Investigations Practice of the Year, finalist, GIR Awards
Caroline Black worked on numerous successful projects, including but not limited to:
Assisting Airbus SE in a worldwide criminal investigation involving accusations of bribery, corruption, and fraud. MsMs Black helped to coordinate settlement agreements with the UK Serious Fraud Office, the U.S. Department of Justice and Department of State, and the French Parquet National Financier.
Representing a large global construction and engineering company in an investigation into behind-the-scenes corruption that involved the bribery of Nigerian government officials. MsMs Black negotiated one of the first civil agreements under the new Proceeds of Crime Act of 2002.
Managing a raid on-site at a client’s premises as a result of tax fraud allegations by Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs
Managing an on-site, 40-officer raid due to allegations against the client of defrauding the National Health Service (NHS) in the amount of £1.8 million.
Advising a large investment organization in regards to accusations of fraud on how to handle investigations with governing authorities like the UK National Crime Agency (NCA), the United States Department of Justice, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, and Parliament Inquiries.
Advising multinational corporations on compliance and due diligence programmes to encourage businesses to prioritize compliance, including programmes specifically on the UK Bribery Act and regulatory compliance with the various U.S. and UK governing bodies depending on the industry a company is in and their target audience.
Ms Black has been featured as an author in multiple publications, including but not limited to:
- FCPA Blog
- Global Investigations Review
- Dechert OnPoint
- Criminal Law and Justice Weekly
- The Global Legal Post
How Caroline Black of Dechert Leads the Way in Corporate Investigations
June 9, 2021
Pragmatism and Professionalism: Lessons From Dechert Partner Caroline Black on Becoming a Leading Thinker in Your Sector
April 29, 2021
The Virtual Law Firm: How Dechert's White Collar Practice Utilizes Technology for Collaborative Success
May 3, 2021
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
Podcast: Dechert discusses the firm's D&I efforts after award wins
October 1, 2020