Altimmune is a therapeutics, treatment, and vaccine development company that looks to find response and prevention solutions. The company was founded by De-chu Christopher Tang in 1997, in Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States.
The company is known for their programs that deal with peptide-based therapeutics for liver diseases, peptide-conjugated immuno-stimulants for cancer, and intranasal vaccines for Anthrax and Influenza.
With the outbreak of COVID-19, Altimmune announced the development of a single-dose, intranasal vaccine against the virus which was caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus. The vaccine design and synthesis has been advanced to animal testing and manufacturing. A Phase 2 clinical study with NasoVAX demonstrated the ability the delivery system was durable and stimulated a broad immune response against the influenza virus. They believe the same delivery system would work for the vaccine in development for COVID-19.
November 15, 2019
Altimmune Completes First Development Milestone Toward a Single-Dose Intranasal COVID-19 Vaccine - Altimmune
Coronavirus outbreak: Top coronavirus drugs and vaccines in development
March 6, 2020
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
Therapeutics, treatments, and vaccines for diseases
- CompanyA company, abbreviated as "Co." within a company name, is a legal entity made up of an association of people, be they natural, legal, or a mixture of both, for carrying on a commercial or industrial enterprise.
- ImmunotherapyImmunotherapy aims to treat disease through activation or suppression of an immune response. For example activating immunotherapies can target cancer and suppressive immunotherapies can target autoimmunity.
- TherapeuticsA branch of medicine using a treatment, therapy, or drug to treat, alleviate, or prevent disease, pain, or injury.
- COVID-19COVID-19 is the abbreviated name for coronavirus disease 2019, a respiratory disease caused by a novel coronavirus strain called SARS-CoV-2. COVID-19 was first detected in Wuhan City, China and the outbreak was declared a pandemic on March 11, 2020 by the World Health Organization.
- VaccineBiological preparation that improves immunity to a particular disease