Nebula Genomics is a genetics company developing a platform for individuals to get their personal genome sequenced, and then enable them to store and control that information through cryptographic encryption on the blockchain. The company plans to provide individuals with a service to get their whole genome sequenced. It was founded by a group of individuals from Harvard including renowned geneticist George Church, Dennis Grishin, and Kamal Obbad.
In contrast to proprietary sequencing companies who own your genetic data after sequencing, Nebula is designed to let individuals retain control over their private sequence data while allowing them to earn money by sharing the right to temporarily borrow and analyze the data.
Nebula is designed for data storage and access control will be implemented using Blockstack. The Blockstack system will allow users to regulate the access to data. Individual genome data will be stored in hash arrays in systems like IPFS.
Nebula tokens are the currency used on the nebula network. Nebula tokens can be used to as payment to order genome sequencing for an individual. They are also the currency data buyers will use in order to purchase access to the genomic and phenotypic data available from individuals whose genomes are stored with Nebula.
Nebula Genomics raises a $4,300,000 seed round from F-Prime Capital Partners, ARCH Venture Partners, Hikma Ventures, Hemi Ventures, Windham Venture Partners, Mirae Asset Venture Investment, Fenbushi Capital, Mayfield Fund, Heartbeat Labs, GreatPoint Ventures and Khosla Ventures.
This new company wants to sequence your genome and let you share it on a blockchain
With startup, George Church bets cryptocurrency will boost genome sequencing
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- CryptocurrencyA cryptocurrency (or crypto currency) is a digital asset designed to work as a medium of exchange using cryptography to secure the transactions and to control the creation of additional units of the currency. Cryptocurrencies are a subset of alternative currencies, or specifically of digital currencies.
- GenomicsThe study of genomes. A genome is the full set of genetic material from an organism. Genomics is an area of research that is concerned with all genes and other functional DNA elements within an organism and how they control the development and life of that organism.
- 23andMeA biotechnology company based in Mountain View, California providing DNA genetic testing and analysis services.
- EncrypGenEncrypGen is a blockchain project designed to allow individuals to place their genetic code on the blockchain privately and securely and manage the ability to sell it to researchers.
- LunaDNALuna DNA is company providing a marketplace for genetic data using blockchain based data storage.
- Show More