National Technical University of Ukraine "Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute" (NTUU KPI) is a public technological university located in Kyiv, Ukraine.
The institute was founded on 31 August 1898 as the Kiev Polytechnic Institute of Emperor Alexander II, but its current building complex was not built until 1902. Until then, the institute was renting out its space at the building of Commercial School located on Vorovsky Street. At that time it had four departments: Mechanical, Chemical, Agricultural, and Civil Engineering. The first enrolment constituted 360 students. The leading Russian scientists Dmitri Mendeleev, Nikolai Zhukovsky and Kliment Arkadyevich Timiryazev gave substantial scientific and organizational assistance in the founding of the institute.
Viktor Kyrpychov was the first rector of the KPI. It was largely due to Kyrpychov's efforts that such professors like V.P. Yermakov, S.M. Reformatsky, M.I. Konovalov or Vladimir Zworykin became members of the first faculty.
Since its establishing the institute was involved in the 1899 All-Russian student strike, which resulted in arrest and exile of 32 students. In the beginning of 1899 in the institute was established underground organizational committee and had a close relation with the Kyiv council of united communities and organizations.
See also: Shuliavka Republic
In 1930, the Kyiv National University of Construction and Architecture (KNUCA) was established on the basis of factory and communal construction branch of the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute (KPI) and the Architectural faculty of the Kyiv Art Institute.
The deoccupation of Kyiv in November 1943 made it possible to restore the work of the institute: the registration of teachers, employees, students who returned to the institute began. Already in the second half of January 1944, an administrative commission for a set of students on the first course and renewal of senior students has begun. All efforts of the Institute's team were aimed at the restoration of the teaching base, because as a result of the Nazi occupation and brutal battles for Kyiv, more than half of the total area of educational premises was destroyed, hostels burned, looted property. Thanks to the inclusion of the Institute to the list of the most important industrial and transport universities of the country, students of all courses were exempted from the prize to the Soviet Army, they were provided with an increased scholarship (first of all, it concerned students who captured specialties from foundry, forging, press and chemical production). Since the timing of rebuilding works were violated, in the summer of 1945, students and teachers voluntarily during the month of holiday vacation performed urgent construction work.
Of great importance for improving the quality of training specialists had research and involvement of students, especially senior courses. The main form of their participation in research work in the postwar years were scientific circles, on the basis of which in April 1946, a student scientific and technical society was formed in the institute. At the time of creation, it had nine sections that combine 30 circles in specialties and about 500 students. Managed sections of leading scientists of the Institute.
In the history of the existence of universities, 23 rectors were headed.
In the long period of existence, the name of the institute has changed several times:
- 1898-1918 - Kyiv Polytechnic Institute of Emperor Oleksandr II;
- 1918-1934 - Kyiv Polytechnic Institute;
- 1934-1948 - Kyiv Industrial Institute;
- 1948-1968 - Kyiv Order Lenin Polytechnic Institute;
- 1968-1992 - Kyiv Order Lenin Polytechnic Institute. 50th anniversary of the Great October Socialist Revolution;
- 1992-1995 - Kyiv Polytechnic Institute;
- 1995-2016 - National Technical University of Ukraine "Kyiv Polytechnic Institute". (Decree of the President of Ukraine in No. 289/95 of April 8, 1995 "On the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute");
- 2016 - National Technical University of Ukraine "Kyiv Polytechnic Institute named after Igor Sikorsky" (Order of the Ministry of Education Ministry of Internal Affairs 17.08.2016 No. 992 "On the Assignment of the National Technical University of Ukraine" Kyiv Polytechnic Institute"). The name "KPI them. Igor Sikorsky".
Actively developing, the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute became the basis for expanding and strengthening the network of Vishivs Kyiv, Ukraine. In 1923-1933, and in recent years, several institutions, universities, academies were created on the basis of departments and individual specialties of the KPI. On the other hand, the famous educational institutions of Ukraine entered the current composition of the university. Thus in the Military Institute of Telecommunications and Informatization of NTUU "KPI" by the official date of the creation is considered March 1, 1919 - the Day of Approval of the Rev-wake of the Republic of the Republic of Projects of Engineering Courses for the preparation of the team of the Worker-Peasant Red Army, which in 1937 became the basis for the Kyiv military school of ZV The tap them. M. I. Kalinina. Publishing-Polygraphic Institute [Since September 6, 2004], which included in the KPI in 1989, was founded on January 1, 1954 in Kyiv on the basis of the artistic-craft school of printers No 18, as an educational and consultative point (UCP) of the Moscow printing institute.
Educational, Science, and Scientific Complex "Institute of Applied Systems Analysis" (ESC IASA)
Educational and Research Institute of Telecommunication Systems (ITS)
Institute of Energy Saving and Energy Management (IEE)
Institute of Aerospace Technologies (IAT)
Institute of Special Communication and Information Security (ISIS)
Mechanics and Machine-Building Institute (MMI)
Institute of Materials Science and Welding (IMZ)
Publishing and Printing Institute (VPI)
Physics and Engineering Institute (PTI)
Inter-branch Institute of Post-graduate Education
Institute of Pre-admission education and Vocational Guidance
Applied Mathematics (FPM)
Biomedical Engineering (FBE)
Biotechnology and Biotechnics (FBT)
Chemical Engineering (IHF)
Chemical Technology (XTF)
Electric Power Engineering and Automatics (FEA)
Heat and Power Engineering (TEF)
Informatics and Computer Science (FIOT)
Instrumentation Engineering (PBF)
Management and Marketing (FMM)
Physics and Mathematics (FMF)
Radio Engineering (RTF)
Sociology and Law (FSP)
The university has two campuses the central one being located in Kyiv, and the other in town of Slavutych.
The Kyiv campus of the university is located near the city centre in a park named after the university.
Here almost 9,000 of non-Kyivite students are accommodated in 21 dormitories, 3 of them for married students. The life conditions at the university domes is a matter of numerous complaints of their inhabitants usually living in an 18 square meters rooms by 4 people in the room.
The institute has an outpatient medical department for employers and students.
The Knowledge Square is the centre of the entire KPI complex, measuring approx. 105 x 100 meters. The Knowledge square is connected to one of the main city thoroughfare, prospect "Peremohy". Meetings, festivals, and graduation ceremonies take place at the square.
The University also has an assembly hall with 1,750 seats. It was opened in August 1984.
Various sport facilities also exist at the institute. There are training grounds, soccer fields, volleyball and basketball courts at student disposal. There are many nationally rated athletes among the students of this institute.
Some Institutes were organized on the KPI basis. Among them are: the Civil Engineering Institute. Technological Institute of Light and Food Industry, the Institute of civil Aviation, Automobile and Road Building Institute, Agricultural (now Agricultural Academy) and others. In 1934 - 1944 the KPI was called an Industrial Institute.