Google Ventures is a corporate venture capital firm in California that focuses on life sciences, consumer, and frontier technology sectors. Founded 2008 in Mountain View, California, United States by Bill Maris and Wesley Chan, it invests in early stage ventures, late stage ventures, series B, series A, series C, and seed rounds. Its portfolio companies include Cohesity, Podium, Universe, Impossible Foods, and Element Science. As of April 2020, GV has made 684 investments. Their most recent investment was on April 7, 2020, when Podium raised $125M. GV has had 143 exits. GV's most notable exits include Uber, Plaid, and HubSpot. GV has raised a single venture fund, GV European Fund. This fund was announced on July 9, 2014 and raised a total of $100M.
Launched as Google Ventures in 2009, GV is the venture capital arm of Alphabet, Inc. The VC fund has invested in more than 300 companies across the fields of life science, healthcare, artificial intelligence, robotics, transportation, cyber security, and agriculture. GV’s team consists of engineers, designers, physicians, scientists, marketers and investors which work together to provide support to startups.
GV is described as an independent fund managing money for one limited partner, Google parent Alphabet. As of 2017 the company has $2.4 billion in assets and aims to deploy about $500 million every year to promising tech startups. GV has said that it aims to be a pure venture firm driven by financial returns rather then for investing in startups that help Google’s other business units.
Funding Rounds Participated In
Authors at GV: Fred Vogelstein
May 2, 2014
Bill Maris interview: Google Ventures into Europe
October 28, 2014
Bill Maris Steps Down as CEO of Google Ventures
August 10, 2016
Deals of the day: Shape Security raises $40 million
February 25, 2014
Exclusive: Google Ventures beefs up fund size to $300 million a year
November 8, 2012
- Venture capitalVenture capital is a form of private equity financing that is provided by venture capital firms or funds to startups, early-stage, and emerging companies, that have been deemed to have high growth potential or which have demonstrated high growth. Capital invested usually carries a substantial element of risk.
- UberUber Technologies Inc. is a transportation network company (TNC) headquartered in San Francisco, California.
- Bill MarisInvestor. Previously co-founded GV (formerly known as Google Ventures).
- GitLabGitLab is a web-based open source Git repository manager and collaboration platform with wiki and issue tracking features and built-in CI/CD.
- DialpadDialpad is a San Francisco-headquartered business communications platform company.
- Show More