The Finnish born architect in the year 1898, was a pioneer in the field of modernism with some of the most noteworthy projects across the world in the domain of architecture, furniture, and glassware. After studying at the Helsinki University of Technology, the architect moved to Jyväskylä in 1923 starting his practice. However, he collaborated with architect Erik Bryggman in 1927 and moved to Turku until 1933 when he finally established himself in Helsinki. His work was acclaimed with the Prince Eugen Medal in 1954, the Royal Medal for Architecture by RIBA in 1957, Gold Medal from AIA in 1963 and was received an honorary doctorate from NTNU in 1960. Some of his most influential projects richly capture his design approach by use of local materials, integrated context, and functional materials.