Wildbook blends structured wildlife research with artificial intelligence, citizen science, and computer vision for population analysis and work to fight extinction. The platform does this through collaborative recapture, molecular ecology, and social ecology studies, and works to help citizen science and artificial intelligence to scale up projects. This includes a technical foundation for wildlife research projects to help them:
- Track individual animals in a wildlife population using natural markings, genetic identifiers, or vocalizations
- Collect biological samples from a wildlife population and performing genetic and chemical analysis
- Engage citizen scientists or use social media to collect sighting information
- Build a collaborative, distributed research network for a migratory and global species
- Develop a new animal biometrics solution for one or more species
- Collect behavioral and social data for wildlife study population
As well, Wildbook has been developed to be able to be used to support tools already used by the statistical and biological communities, including tools such as Program MARK, GenAIEx, and SCOPROG.