Golden Recursion Inc. logoGolden Recursion Inc. logo
Advanced Search
Tambov

Tambov

City in central Russia

Tambov is a city and the administrative center of Tambov Oblast, central Russia, at the confluence of the Tsna and Studenets Rivers, about 418 kilometers (260 mi) south-southeast of Moscow.

Tambov was founded on April 17, 1636 as a military fortress to protect the southern borders of the Russian state from Tatar raids. As the borders of the Russian state move to the south by the beginning of the XVIII century, it gradually begins to lose its former military guard value and begins to develop as the center of an agrarian district.

In 1781, Empress Catherine II approved the coat of arms of Tambov: an image of a beehive and three bees on an azure background, as a symbol of diligence and on-board fishing (beekeeping), which residents of the Tambov Region have been engaged in for a long time.

The years 1786-1788 were a period of rapid development of the city. There was a basic folk school, a theological seminary, a theater, a printing house was created and the first provincial newspaper in Russia began to be printed. All these changes were associated with the name of Gavriil Romanovich Derzhavin, who headed the Tambov viceroyalty during this period.

In the XIX century, the city continues to actively grow and develop. A gymnasium, a public library, the Alexandrinsky Institute of Noble Maidens, a teachers' institute and a women's gymnasium were opened. The Ryazan-Ural railway was laid through Tambov, water supply and electric lighting appeared in the city.

During the First World War of 1914-1918, Tambov became a place of concentration of military garrisons, whose main function was to replenish the ranks of the active army. Soviet power in the city was proclaimed on January 18, 1918. Since 1937, Tambov has been the center of the Tambov region.

In the 1920s and 30s, Tambov began to develop as an industrial city: the Tambov Revtrud Plant, the Tambov Automobile Repair Plant (formerly repair shops of the Ryazan-Ural Railway), the Komsomolets plant and others were founded. In the 1940s, active industrial construction was carried out. In a short time, the city has become a major center of the chemical industry.

In 1918, a State university was opened in Tambov, and in 1930 — the Tambov Agro-Pedagogical Institute. 1958 was marked by the opening of the Tambov branch of the Moscow Chemical Institute, and 1967 - the branch of the Moscow State Institute of Culture.

During the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945, Tambov was the center of the formation of military units. It also housed a large number of evacuation hospitals.

From 1950 to 1990 there was an intensive development of the city: industrial construction increased, public buildings were built, including shopping complexes on the streets of Internatsionalnaya, Michurinskaya, Sovetskaya. The regional Philharmonic Hall, the regional Universal Scientific Library, the Yubileyny Palace of Culture, the Tambov and Tolna hotels (sovr. Derzhavinskaya), sports palaces "Crystal" and "Antey", the administration building of the Tambov region and many others. Monuments were also erected to M.Y.Lermontov, Z.A.Kosmodemyanskaya, S.N.Sergeev-Tsensky, twice Hero of the Soviet Union V.S.Petrov, the monument "Eternal Flame", the memorial complex "Mother Grieving" and others.

Modern Tambov is an industrial and cultural regional center. The industrial sector occupies a leading place in the city's economy. Enterprises of mechanical engineering, chemical and petrochemical, woodworking, food industry, electric power industry, production of building materials and many others are concentrated in Tambov.

Tambov is growing and strengthening every year. Over the past few years, modern administrative buildings, residential buildings with modern interiors have been built, new parks, squares, monuments and fountains have been opened. Much attention is also paid to the construction, restoration and restoration of churches. At the same time, the new buildings harmoniously fit into the architecture of the regional center.

Timeline

February 13, 2022
Архивы Лента новостей - ВЕСТИ / Тамбов

Further Resources

Title
Author
Link
Type
Date

Tambov

Web

Город Тамбов. 1980 г.

Web

April 9, 2018

References

Golden logo
By using this site, you agree to our Terms & Conditions.