Kirovohrad region ( ukr. Kirovohrad region ) is an area in the central part of Ukraine . The administrative center is the city of Kropyvnytskyi . It was created on January 10, 1939 as part of the Ukrainian SSR by a decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR with the center in the city of Kirovo, which was renamed Kirovograd, and since 2016 has been called Kropyvnytskyi. The area has not been renamed.
It is located in the center of Ukraine, in the interfluve of the Dnieper and the Southern Bug , in the southern part of the Dnieper Upland .
Almost the entire territory of the region is located on the right bank of the Dnieper. In the north it borders on Cherkasy , in the northeast on Poltava , in the south and southeast on Dnipropetrovsk , in the south on Mykolaiv and Odessa regions, and in the west on Vinnitsa region. It is noteworthy that the geographical center of Ukraine was located in the village of Dobrovelichkovka . Later, the State Committee of Natural Resources of Ukraine established that the village of Maryanovka is the geographical center of the country .
The oldest archaeological site " Vys ", located between the villages of Lekarevo and Shmidov of the Novomirgorodsky district on the left bank of the river Bolshaya Vys , belongs to the late Paleolithic (34-36 thousand years BC)   .
On the territory of the village of Nebelevka there is a settlement of Trypillia Nebelevka ( Nebelivka ) with an area of about 300 hectares, with the remains of a temple complex with an area of about 1200 m², with seven altars  .
From the settlement in the Black Forest in the upper reaches of the Ingulets River, the Chernolesskaya culture was named - a culture of the transitional period from the Bronze Age to the Early Iron Age (IX-VII centuries BC).
In ancient times, the ancient inhabitants of the region, the Scythians , roamed the territory of the region .
The end of the 7th or the beginning of the 8th century dates back to the treasure of Glodosy , discovered on the right bank of the Sukhoi Tashlyk River.
In the Middle Ages, the territory of the region became part of the Wild Field , along which the Huns , Ugrians , Khazars , Pechenegs , Tatar-Mongols and other tribes roamed.
In the XVI-XVII centuries, the territory of the region (almost deserted) became a buffer between the Commonwealth, on the one hand, and the Turkish-Tatar territories, on the other.
In the middle of the 17th century, a significant part of the territory of the region was controlled by the Zaporizhzhya Cossacks , their camps (Gards) were located on it.
Gradually, as Russian control over this territory strengthens, the region becomes part of the Novorossia region , into which Russians (in the cities), Ukrainians (in the countryside), Polish (as the landlord elite), as well as Serbian, Moldavian, Bulgarian, German settlers and immigrants.
In the second half of the 19th and early 20th centuries, Elisavetgrad was one of the most culturally developed county towns in the south of modern Ukraine.
In 1882, the first permanent professional Ukrainian theater was created in Elisavetgrad (founders - Ivan Karpovich Karpenko-Kary and Marko Lukich Kropyvnytsky ).
In 1897, a tram service was opened in the city, which was carried out until the Great Patriotic War  .
The city received great development in connection with the opening of the Elvorti plant .
In 1754-1917 the territory of the region was part of the Russian Empire. During the civil war in 1917-1920, the authorities changed here several times. At the end of the civil war and until 1991, the region was part of the Ukrainian SSR . In 1941, the territory of the region was captured by the German troops of the Army Group South , and in early 1944 it was liberated by the Red Army . Since 1992 , after the collapse of the Soviet Union, it has been part of independent Ukraine.
The territory of the region was alternately part of the Nikolaev, Kherson, and Odessa regions, until in 1939 it appears on the map as an independent entity.
The chronology of the region's recent history is as follows:
1754 - the fortress of St. Elizabeth was founded ;
1796 - the Elisavetgrad district of the Novorossiysk province of the Russian Empire was established;
October 8, 1802 - May 15, 1803 - Elisavetgrad district was transferred to the jurisdiction of the Nikolaev province ;
May 15, 1803 - 1921 - the district was transferred to the jurisdiction of the Kherson province ;
1869 - the city of Znamenka was founded , an important railway junction of Ukraine;
January 1918 - the establishment of Soviet power;
1921 - Elisavetgrad district is part of the Nikolaev province of the Ukrainian SSR ;
1922 - Ukrainian SSR is part of the USSR ;
March 7, 1923 - the Elisavetgrad district of the Nikolaev province was created;
1924 - Elisavetgrad was renamed Zinovievsk, and the Elisavetgrad district was renamed Zinoviev district ;
1925 - the Nikolaev province was liquidated;
1930 - the Zinoviev district of the Ukrainian SSR was established;
1932-1937 - the district is part of the Odessa region ;
1934 - Zinovievskiy district was renamed into Kirovsky;
1937-1939 - Kirovsky district as part of the Nikolaev region ;
January 10, 1939 - the Kirovograd region was created by the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR "On the formation of the Sumy, Kirovograd and Zaporozhye regions as part of the Ukrainian SSR " with the center in the city of Kirovo, with the renaming of the city of Kirovo to Kirovograd (since July 14, 2016 - the city of Kropivnitsky). The structure of the Kirovograd region included: the city of Kirovograd, Adzhamsky, Alexandria, Bobrinetsky, Vityazevsky, Dolinsky, Elizavetgradkovsky, Znamensky, Kirovograd rural, Kompaneevsky, Novgorodkovsky, Novo-Prazhsky, Petrovsky and Ustinovsky districts of the Nikolaev region; More-Viskovsky, Dobrovelichkovsky, Malo-Viskovsky, Novo-Arkhangelsky, Novo-Mirgorodsky, Novo-Ukrainsky, Peschano-Brodsky, Rivnyansky, Tishkovsky and Khmelevsky districts of the Odessa region ; Aleksandrovsky, Zlatopolsky, Kamensky, Podvysotsky and Chigirinsky districts of the Kiev region; Novo-Georgievsky and Onufrievsky districts of the Poltava region ;
On January 7, 1954, Cherkasy Oblast was formed from the northern districts of the region (as well as from part of the Kiev region ) ;
On February 15, 1954, in connection with the annexation of the territory of the Izmail region to the Odessa region , the northern regions of Odessa (Gaivoronsky, Golovanevsky, Vilshansky and Ulyanovsky) were annexed to the Kirovograd region; thus, the Kirovograd and Odessa regions were formed within their modern borders;
June 7, 1957 - Tishkovsky district was abolished;
March 25, 1958 - the Velikovyskovsky district was abolished;
January 21, 1959 - the Krasnokamensky district was abolished;
July 16, 1959 - Ajamsky and Podvysotsky districts were abolished;
September 12, 1959 - Vityazevsky, Elizavetgradkovsky and Peschanobrodsky districts were abolished;
1962 - Novogeorgievsky district was abolished, Kremgesovsky district was created;
December 30, 1962 - Olshansky, Gaivoronsky, Golovanevsky, Znamensky, Kompaneevsky, Novgorodkovsky, Novomirgorodsky, Novoprazhsky, Onufrievsky, Rovnyansky, Ustinovsky and Khmelevsky districts were abolished;
January 4, 1965 - the Gaivoronsky, Golovanevsky, Znamensky, Kompaneevsky, Novgorodkovsky, Novomirgorodsky districts were recreated;
1967 - Olshansky, Onufrievsky and Ustinovsky districts were recreated;
1969 - Kremgesovsky district was renamed into Svetlovodsky.
The Kirovograd region is famous for its natural curiosities and picturesque panoramic views, which often become an adornment of the portfolio of Ukrainian photographers. Kirovohrad region is located in the very center of Ukraine, and earlier the geographical center of the country was designated as a point in this region. In our selection you will find a recommendation where to go first of all to feel the breath and atmosphere of the Kirovograd region.
Perhaps the most mysterious place in the Kirovograd region is the Monastery. This natural monument is often compared with the English Stonehenge. A high rock of a strange oval shape rises right in the middle of the steppe. In the shadow of a mysterious rock, the Ingul River flows. Huge stone slabs, stacked one on top of the other, flaunt at the foot. Scientists are still at a loss - whether this is a man-made phenomenon, or whether these stones are frozen magma, which was released from the earth by a meteorite that fell 45 million years ago. At the top of the cliff there is a huge stone where visitors leave "sacrifices" - bread, cookies, sweets to appease the local spirits.
This place is rightfully considered unique, because it is one of the rare places where natural waterfalls spread on the flat part of Ukraine. Wide natural stone slabs here allow you to enter the river, and from the cliff near the waterfall you can dive into the deep Buki River. In addition, there are many local species of plants and animals - rare and endangered species.
An amazing reservoir, which is famous for its healing water, as well as large deposits of blue clay at the bottom, was formed on a dammed small river Dry. The lake is located right in the middle of the steppe, so at night you can lie on your back in the middle of a pond (salt water keeps you like on a mattress) and look at the bright steppe stars.
Reserve Museum Khutor Nadiya
One of the most famous places in the entire region is Khutor Nadia, founded by the father of the outstanding Ukrainian playwright, actor Ivan Tobilevich (Karpenko-Kary). He named the estate in memory of his wife Nadezhda Karlovna Tarkovskaya. For many years this place was the playwright's creative laboratory: such works as "One Hundred Thousands", "The Master", the historical drama "Sava Chaly" and about eleven other works were written here. Here, the playwright was visited by leading figures of the Ukrainian theater Marko Kropivnitsky, Maria Zankovetskaya, Mikhail Staritsky, brothers Mykola Sadovsky, Panas Saksagansky and sister Maria Sadovskaya-Barilotti. In the former house of Karpenko-Kary there is an interesting exposition of the playwright's personal belongings, and on the territory of the estate there is a park, a lake and a spring with drinking water.
The water tower in Pomoshnaya is one of the first hyperboloid structures in the world, built according to the project of the great engineer and scientist Vladimir Grigoryevich Shukhov. In total, there are hardly a dozen such towers left in the world, the most famous of which is the television tower on Shabolovka in Moscow.
The Shukhov Tower is about 20 meters high, two-tiered. The lower tower has a volume of 300 cubic meters, the upper one - 90 cubic meters. Previously, there was also a steam boiler for heating water in winter. In 1944, the Nazis, retreating, laid explosives under the tower: the tower rose into the air from the explosion, and then slowly settled on its damaged supports in some places. Since then, the tower has not functioned, although it was repaired.
The ancient Black Forest is located on the territory of the Znamensky and Alexandria districts of the Kirovograd region. It got its name from the tribes of the Black Klobuks (Turkic vassals of the Kiev princes) who lived there. The forest thinned out during the construction of the Black Sea Fleet and the city of Elisavetgrad - wood was mined here. There is a unique Berestovatoye lake in the forest. People call him Black. Neither amateurs nor specialists can measure its depth - all attempts end in failure. Only one species of fish lives in it - silver (ground) crucian carp, and there are also floating islands on the lake, which change their location every now and then. Rumor has it that those who tried to swim here disappeared without a trace.
Museum of Satan
On the border of the Kirovograd and Nikolaev regions, there is a unique Museum of Strategic Missile Forces . Until recently, a strictly classified missile base was located here, which was part of the 46th missile division of the Order of the October Revolution of the Red Banner Nizhnedneprovskaya.
Here is collected all the equipment and tools that were used in the maintenance of missile systems. You can see rocket engines, space communication systems, in addition, there are real rockets on the territory of the museum - R-12 and R-36 (nicknamed Satan by the Americans).
Green Garden "Haidamatska Sich"
The real tourist highlight of the Kirovograd region is located in the village of Tsibulevo not far from. Black Forest, 21 km from Znamyanka.
The hosts guarantee beautiful views of the picturesque area, a warm welcome and active recreation. Here they are treated to Cossack dishes, which are cooked on an open fire and introduce you to the Cossack way of life.
Also at the open-air museum, which is also called the Sich, unique exhibits are stored - finds from the times of the Scythian and Chernoles cultures, rare items of decorative and applied art. You will be offered interesting excursions near the lying lands, for example, the Rock of Perun, on which in the past there was an ancient temple, to three wells known in the area, the water in each of which has its own taste, as well as trips to the Black Forest to the monument to the Cossack Mamai and others.
The owners are especially proud of the Cossack chicken houses, where they receive guests.
Visits to the museum and excursions must be booked in advance.