The city of Khasavyurt is located on the Kumyk plain, which is part of the Tersk-Sulak lowlands, at an altitude of 121 m above sea level. The Yaryksu and Aktash rivers flow through Khasavyurt (flowing along the northeastern edge of the city). The southern new buildings of the city rise into the foothills along both banks of the Yaryksu River.
The urban area of Khasavyurt borders with Khasavyurt and Novolaksky (in the south-west) districts
The city was named after the Kumyk prince Khasava, a native of the village of Kostek, translated from Kumyk as "Khasava settlement". June 4, 1826 on the orders of General AP Ermolov Kumyk chief bailiff Colonel Musa Khasav was ordered to build a settlement on the river Yaryksa with the deployment of the military garrison in it in order to protect the villages Kumyk flatland from Chechen raids. Musa Hasav organized the resettlement of 100 families each from Endirey and Kostek to the new settlement. By the beginning of the winter of 1826-1827 Yermolov's order was executed].
In November 1831, Imam Gazi-Magomed makes a swift raid through Kumykiya to Kizlyar, destroying aul Khasavyurt on the way, but it was soon restored; aul Khasavyurt is marked on the map of the North-East Caucasus, drawn up in the 1930s.
In early 1843 Major-General Freitag, in order to finally bar Imam Shamil's supporters from the mountains to the Kumyk Plateau, petitioned Lieutenant-General Gurko, commander-in-chief of the Caucasus Line, to build a fortress on the river Yaryksu. On May 4, 1846 the works on the fortification of Yaryksuv began, which was led by the soldiers of the fortresses Gerzel and Vsepaznaya. And soon the 80th Kabardian Jaeger Regiment, which completed the construction of the fortification, located 1.5-2 km from the aul Khasavyurt, was transferred with the permanent deployment. In the same year it was requested that the fortress be renamed Khasavyurt. The reports of 1847 mention the fortification as Khasavyurt.
In 1848 the construction of a new stronger fortification started at the place of the present-day city market. From three sides the fortification was surrounded by an adobe wall which was 1.5 m thick and 2.5 m high with three brick towers and loopholes in the corners; the western side had no wall - it was protected by the precipice of the river Yaryksu. Separate houses appeared between the first and the second fortifications. An outpost, the houses of officers' and soldiers' families, appeared to the north of the fortification. Along the fortifications and forestadt deep ditch was dug. In 1867 Khasavyurt became a suburb with civilian administration.
Entrance to the city of Khasavyurt from the southern side
After the end of the Caucasus War and the reform of Dagestan and Terek regions, the Kumyk district of Terek region was renamed Khasavyurt district.
The town's main attraction is the Svyato-Znamensky Cathedral
On January 1, 1917, the population of Khasavyurt reached 14,028, of which 10,494 were permanent residents. The ethnic composition of the settlement was diverse: Russians 50.5%, Kumyks 33%, Mountain Jews 6%, Germans and Persians 5% each,.
At the end of April 1918, Khasavyurt suburb was burnt down by a detachment of Uzun-Khadji. After the Civil War, the fortification was rebuilt by the residents of the destroyed houses of the sloboda. Status of the city assigned by decree of the All-Union Central Executive Committee of the USSR on August 10, 1931[