Joseph Poon is an American academic specializing in solving problems related to blockchain scalability.
In January 2016, Poon co-authored a paper on a 2nd layer scalability solution for Bitcoin titled The Bitcoin Lightning Network: Scalable Off-Chain Instant Payments. Several companies began working on practical implementations of the Lightning Network shortly afterwards.
After authoring the Lightning Network paper, Poon and Vitalik Buterin co-authored a paper on a scalability solution for Ethereum titled Plasma: Scalable Autonomous Smart Contracts. Plasma theoretically allows decentralized applications built on Ethereum to move smart contract computation onto 2nd layer side chains, increasing the overall throughput of the main Ethereum chain without sacrificing its trustless nature.
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
Joseph Poon shares his philosophy on blockchain, scaling, and governance
August 29, 2018
- Lightning NetworkThe Lightning Network is a decentralized network utilizing smart contract functionality to enable off-chain transactions with cryptographic confidence of on blockchain enforceability.
- Plasma (blockchain)Plasma is a proposed framework to improve the scalability of blockchain platforms such as Ethereum by composing blockchains into a tree hierarchy where each branch (i.e child blockchain) off of the parent blockchain can perform computation of smart contracts while the parent blockchain maintains data integrity and security for the entire network
- EthereumEthereum is an open-source, public, distributed blockchain computing platform featuring smart contract (scripting) functionality, which facilitates online contractual agreements.
- BitcoinBitcoin is a cryptocurrency and a digital payment system invented by an unknown programmer, or a group of programmers, under the name Satoshi Nakamoto. It was released as open-source software in 2009.
- Vitalik ButerinRussian-Canadian computer scientist, programmer, writer and founder of Ethereum.
- Show More