Collaborations Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a privately owned company based in Raleigh, North Carolina, that performs research and development on therapeutics for multiple rare and infectious diseases. They utilize machine learning models to develop clinical candidates. Collaborations Pharmaceuticals partner with academics and companies to identify and translate early preclinical to clinical-stage assets.
Collaborations Pharmaceuticals has experience obtaining funds through the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and Department of Defense (DoD) to bring therapies to market. They focus on obtaining FDA orphan drug designations.
Founded in 2015 by scientist Sean Ekins. Ekins was previously CSO at Collaborative Drug Discovery and CEO and Co-Founder of Phoenix Nest Inc. He is also Adjunct Associate Professor, School of Pharmacy Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Maryland and entrepreneur in residence at UNC-Chapel Hill.
Collaborations Pharmaceuticals applied its machine learning and drug discovery expertise to help during the global COVID-19 outbreak. This includes:
- openly deposited pre-existing data on MERS activity for Tilorone.
- shared data on pyronaridine, quinacrine, and tilorone and their Ebola activity which may be relevant for COVID-19.
- generated openly available machine learning models for SARS, SARS-CoV-2, MERS, and ACE2.
- submitted 4 compounds to an academic lab for testing versus SARS-CoV-2.
- tested over 100 FDA approved drugs against SARS-CoV-2 proteins in their lab.
- worked with collaborators to progress one molecule into a humanized animal model.
Collaborations Pharmaceuticals, Inc. | NC State University
April 19, 2018