Foundation of Cherepovets
Empress Catherine II signed a decree granting Cherepovets the status of a city. Cherepovets was created for the "use of water communications", as it is located on the Sheksna near the confluence of the Suda River. Rivers at that time were the main ways of transporting goods. In 1782, the city plan was officially approved.
From city to suburb
Emperor Paul I issued a decree on a new division of the state into provinces, and Cherepovets, like several other cities, lost the status of a city, becoming a suburb. However, the citizens of Cherepov continue to maintain the town hall at their own expense. When, a year later, they decided to deprive Cherepovets of the status of a settlement, the merchants and townspeople sent a delegate to St. Petersburg with a petition. The request was respected - Cherepovets remained a suburb.
Cherepovets Opening Day
Under Alexander I, the Senate issued a decree "On the restoration of provincial cities of the provinces", thanks to which Cherepovets again received the status of a city. By the same decree, the Cherepovets district was assigned to the city.
.Enlightenment in Cherepovets
A women's two-class school, a city public bank, and a county hospital were opened in the city. In 1868, the Milyutin brothers built a mechanical plant, where they opened a school. A year later, the school was transformed into a school, which later became Aleksandrovsky. In 1871, a public library appeared, the women's school was transformed into a progymnasium. The first museum opened in 1896.
Cherepovets during World War II
More than a thousand Cherepovets join the ranks of the people's militia to fight Napoleon's army. More than two thousand rubles, fodder and food were collected for the needs of the war.
The first industrial enterprise was built in the city - the ironworks of the merchant Krasilnikov. The plant staff consisted of 40 workers
The era of Ivan Milyutin in Cherepovets
Merchant of the 3rd guild Ivan Milyutin was elected a member of the city magistrate, in 1855 Milyutin became burgomaster, in 1861 he was elected mayor.
For the "use of water communication"
The Milyutin brothers purchased the Smely steamship and opened the first passenger line between Cherepovets and Rybinsk.
In 1905, a railway station of the Northern Railway was opened in the city, connecting Vyatka with St. Petersburg. The opening of the station is the merit of the mayor Ivan Milyutin. Subsequently, the railway will determine the fate of the city.
Cherepovets after the revolution
The Cherepovets Governorate was founded, which included the Cherepovets, Ustyuzhensky, Kirillovsky, Belozersky and Tikhvinsky districts. In 1919, all the old streets of Cherepovets received new names - in the spirit of the times. In 1920 the Museum of Nature was opened.
In 1930, Cherepovets entered the Leningrad Region. A confectionery factory, a bakery, a meat processing plant were built in the city. In 1937, Cherepovets was “relocated” to the Vologda region.
Metallurgy in Cherepovets
A decision was made to build a metallurgical plant in the city. Seven years later, after the end of the war, a decree was signed to resume construction. In 1948 the design of the plant was completed, in 1951 the foundation of the first blast furnace was laid. On August 24, 1955, the Cherepovets Metallurgical Plant produces the first cast iron.
With the launch of the metallurgical plant, the rapid growth of the city begins: new streets, high-rise buildings and residential buildings are being built. By 1959, the population of Cherepovets grew by 60,000 and exceeded 90,000 people. By 1973, there were already more than 200 thousand inhabitants in Cherepovets, and by 1986 - more than 300 thousand. New schools, hospitals, recreation centers, cinemas appeared, in 1970 the construction of the Oktyabrsky bridge across the Sheksna began. New production facilities are also opening: two chemical plants, a metal structure plant, a match factory, several light industry enterprises
The construction of the Oktyabrsky bridge is nearing completion. Behind Sheksna, a new urban area is growing - Zasheksninsky.
City of metallurgists and chemists
Cherepovets is the largest city in the Vologda Oblast in terms of population. The population is 318 thousand people. Cherepovets is one of the main industrial centers of Russia, the basis of the economic potential is metallurgy and chemistry enterprises.
1978 January. Cherepovets - 200 years. Vologodskaya Oblast
September 28, 2021
Briefly about the city
Cherepovets - a city for business
May 23, 2018