Bitgreen’s goal is to raise $1 trillion for sustainability projects in ten years. The company targets a variety of sectors:
- Satellite and drone remote forest sensing
- Energy grid and demand response
- Sustainable agriculture
- Supply chain and recycling
- Community activation and volunteerism
- Corporate environmental, social, and governance (ESG) investing
- Well-being and preventative health
- Food integrity
Bitgreen enables users to finance, originate, and purchase carbon credits (also known as carbon allowances; akin to permission slips for emissions) that conserve nature, remove atmospheric CO2, and bring financial benefits to local communities.
Bitgreen's Impact Investment Platform is a blockchain marketplace for discovering and buying digital green bonds.
Bitgreen cites the climate fiction novel Ministry for the Future, by Kim Stanley Robinson, as an inspiration for the company. The novel describes the disastrous consequences of global warming and humanity's subsequent mitigation actions.