Copia is a tech-enabled food recovery company that has stated that its mission is to end hunger by matching businesses and events with surplus food to certain communities lacking food. Through the web and mobile platform, users can request pickups of excess food. Drivers (which the service call 'Food Heroes') pickup and deliver the food to local shelters, after school programs, and other nonprofits. Copia redistributes surplus food to feed people lacking food.
Copia accepts all edible food. When a pickup is requested, information around food type and estimated amount is requested, to match all surplus food with nonprofit organizations.
However, Copia does charge volume based fees for service since they are a for-profit food recovery company that offers on-demand and recurring pickups.
With Copia, customers get simplified tax reporting and powerful procurement analytics.
There are many benefits of Copia to reduce food waste:
- Minimize waste & maximize savings with Copia's reporting platform
- Maximize tax deductions without operational burden
- Support your community & protect the environment
- Receive comprehensive reports on your social and environmental impact for employees and customers
- Enjoy a professional, efficient and reliable food recovery service
Copia currently operate across the Bay Area – specifically San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Cruz, Santa Clara and Alameda counties.
Federal and State laws, along with Copia’s industry leading practices, protect customers from civil and criminal liability when sharing excess food:
- Customers are protected by Federal and State laws from any liability provided the food is given in good faith.
- Copia’s Food Heroes are ServSafe Certified food handlers. They undergo enhanced background screenings and extensive professional food safety training.
- All nonprofit recipients sign a Hold Harmless Indemnity Agreement upon sign-up, shielding customers from all liability.
- Copia carries a $5MM Insurance Policy that directly protects customers and the food in transit.