Expres2ion Biotechnologies is a Danish company focused on delivering custom human, parasite, and viral proteins for applications in vaccine and therapeutics development. The company was incorporated in 2010.
Expres2ion Biotechnologies's primary technology platform is called ExpreS2, a non-viral insect (drosophila) cell expression system that establishes stable polyclonal pools that provide high protein expression levels without selection pressure. The company says its system is designed for transient or stable transfections using vector DNA containing a very strong proprietary hybrid promoter.
ExpreS2 uses embryonic drosophila melanogaster (fruit fly) cells, called S2 cells. S2 cell lines were first created by Imogene Schneider in 1972.
The company cites a number of key features of its protein expression platform:
- Expresses complex proteins including heterodimers and other multimers
- Expressed proteins are very homogenous
- Easy to access more protein from original producing pool
- Consistent expression through cloning
- Very high cell density without aggregation or toxic metabolite buildup issues
- Flexible under various culture and process conditions
- Suitable for perfusion processes using established equipment
- Reduced risk of human contaminants, compared to other systems in use
ExpreS2ion announces EU grant award for the COVID-19 vaccine development programme
March 6, 2020