Established in 2015 by Michael Salguero, ButcherBox is an online butcher delivering beef, chicken, pork, Alaskan salmon, sea scallops, and other meat products to customers. The company is based in Brighton, Massachusetts.
ButcherBox is a meat delivery company providing subscription boxes containing items such as beef, chops of pork, sirloin steak, seafood, and chicken. Users can order meat in bulk and set up a regular subscription plan for delivery. The delivery process includes building the Butcher Box meat box. Users can purchase custom or pre-curated shipment boxes. Their packages are then delivered frozen from shipping and packed in an insulated box.
The curated plan's classic box size costs $146, and the Big Box Size costs $269. The custom plan has 20 percent more meat than the curated plans and costs $169; the Big Box Size costs $306. Add-ons and member deals are available for all plans. Add-ons include extra cuts of meat, and these items are recurring with orders until the user makes changes.
Member deals are one-off items with savings that users can include to their orders, such as a buy two, get one free bacon. Unlike add-ons, member deals don't renew automatically with each box. They are available in limited quantities and change based on season and inventory. They also include cuts that aren't available for purchase in the Custom plan.
Members can choose a delivery frequency of two weeks, four weeks, or six weeks. They can also change the date their next order will be billed. The box will be delivered two to five days from the date the order bills. Changes to delivery frequency go into effect after the next scheduled order. If a user wants the change to be effective immediately, they are required to change their box frequency and upcoming bill date.
- Pork loin
- New York strip steaks
- Chicken tenders
- Chicken breast
- Top sirloin steaks
- Chuck round roast
- Lamb (seasonal)
- Ground sirloin
- Wild-caught salmon (sockeye)
- Uncured bacon
- Whole Turkey (seasonal)
- Boneless pork chops
- Grass-fed ground beef
- Heritage pork chops and hormone-free bacon
- Sausages (breakfast and Italian)
- Baby-back and St. Louis style ribs
The first four ButcherBox options are pre-selected, so members can’t pick the cuts of meat they will receive, particularly for the pork-beef combos. The Custom Box is the alternative, and a user can make a selection to their preference, like chicken wings, steak tips, or bottom-round roast meat. They can also pick between two box sizes. The 8 to 11 lbs box is suitable for couples and small families, while the 16 to 22 lbs box is suitable for families with four to five members or those with ample freezer storage.
- ButcherBox—This is a meat delivery service products collage.
- Mixed box—This can be a combination of cuts of meat, pork, chicken breasts, and marine produce.
- Curated All-beef option box—This is a mixed ButcherBox beef option containing a varied selection from ground beef to filet mignon.
- Curated Beef and pork box—This combo offers about a 50/50 split by weight per pound between ground pork products and beef cuts.
- Curated beef and chicken box—This offers about a 50/50 split in weight per pound among beef, meat, and chicken breasts. Custom big box—This allows users to handpick their cuts of meat and some add-ons, like ButcherBox bacon, ground beef, and ground pork.
- Gift box—ButcherBox gift boxes include Game Day Box, Steak Lovers' Box, ButcherBox Favorites, Mixed Box, Wild-Caught Salmon Box, and ButcherBox Beef & Chicken.
ButcherBox ships orders with a specific amount of dry ice calculated based on where a member lives. As the dry ice evaporates, it combines with the air inside the box, which keeps the meat cold. If the box arrives without dry ice, that means the dry ice evaporated to keep the meat cold. If the meat is cold to the touch and below 40°F, members can refrigerate and cook it as is or refreeze for future use.
The company's delivery partners don’t need a signature when an order is delivered to a home address so buyers can receive orders without being present. Once the box is delivered, it can sit outside for about six to eight hours. This varies based on temperature and location. Buyers have access to member support specialists and the live chat option on the company's website. The live chat option is used for questions on account navigation, promotions, and general information.
A buyer's box is delivered within two to five business days from the date their order bills, or one to two days after the date their order bills for recurring boxes. When the order ships, users get an email with tracking information. They can also sign up for SMS notifications. The company's carriers typically deliver between 8 am and 8 pm, with some deliveries occurring outside those hours. Tracking information is also made available to buyers who want to follow their order.