Alternatively known as a virtual community or profile site, a social network is a website that brings people together to talk, share ideas and interests, or make new friends. This type of collaboration and sharing is known as social media. Unlike traditional media that is created by no more than ten people, social media sites contain content created by hundreds or even millions of different people. Below is a small list of some of the biggest social networks used today.
Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com ) - The most popular social networking websites on the Internet. Facebook is a popular destination for users to set up personal space and connect with friends, share pictures, share movies, talk about what you're doing, etc.
Instagram ( https://www.instagram.com ) - A mobile photo sharing service and application available for the iPhone, Android, and Windows Phone platforms.
LinkedIn ( https://www.linkedin.com ) - One of the best if not the best locations to connect with current and past coworkers and potentially future employers.
MySpace ( https://myspace.com ) - Once one of the most popular social networks and viewed website on the Internet. See the MySpace definition for further information about this service.
Reddit ( https://www.reddit.com ) - Community of registered users (redditors) submits content that is upvoted by the community. Reddit has a subreddit (board) for almost every category.
Twitter ( https://twitter.com ) - Another fantastic service that allows users to post 140 character long posts from their phones and on the Internet. A fantastic way to get the pulse of what's going on around the world.
YouTube ( https://www.youtube.com ) - An excellent network of users posting video blogs or vlogs and other fun and exciting videos.
- Instagram is a Menlo Park based photo-sharing social media platform.
- Facebook (platform)Online social media and social networking service
- Reddit is an online platform for social news. It allows communities to submit links, create content, and discuss any topic of their interest.
- Pinterest is a photo sharing, publishing website, social media web and mobile application company.
- FlickrFlickr is an image hosting and video hosting website founded in 2004 by Caterina Fake.
- Show More