Kristopher Gasteratos is the founder and president of CAS, the Cellular Agriculture Society, an international 501c3 nonprofit based in the US and a former VIP Venture of the Harvard Innovation Lab. He is a former student, scholar, and researcher of the Faculty of Arts & Sciences at Harvard University.
Kristopher started his career in cellular agriculture in 2015 after his research in a tissue engineering lab. This inspired him to to conduct the first and largest market research on cellular agriculture spanning 3 years and multiple continents, which led to results that escalated investor and public interest in cell-based meat and cellular agriculture globally.
His ambition to accelerate cellular agriculture then brought him to Harvard where he became the first cellular agriculture researcher and scholar at the University and the Ivy League. In August 2017, Kristopher published the first entry of the Neomnivore Trilogy: Nature & the Neomnivore. This literature, which served as the first comprehensive environmental report on cellular agriculture, ranked as a top trending work at Harvard among all publications at the university and placed cellular agriculture into the international spotlight. In 2016, he began the initial framework of CAS, leading to a two year journey developing the programming at CAS, along with a website which would provide the platform to build an international movement.
Overall, his work on cellular agriculture has contributed to his authoring excerpts in cellular agriculture books/articles, for example, “Clean Meat” and interviews for media outlets like ABC, the San Francisco Chronicle, and cellular agriculture documentaries like Bite to the Future and Horn Maker. As a world renown expert on cellular agriculture, Kristopher’s speaking engagements in the past range from leading international discussions giving guest lectures at Harvard and Stanford, to talks on cell-based meat and cellular agriculture at conferences on effective altruism and food technology.
Consumer Interest Towards Clean Meat
History & the Neomnivore
Moral Veritas-Utilitarianism 2017
Nature & the Neomnivore
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
Water Use of Clean Meat & Cellular Agriculture
- PersonA person is a being, such as a human, that has certain capacities or attributes constituting personhood, which has various definitions.
- Cellular agricultureCellular agriculture is an interdisciplinary scientific field drawing from several disciplines such as synthetic biology, genetic engineering, molecular biology, tissue engineering, biochemistry, and food science to design organisms capable of producing a wide variety of agricultural products.
- Cluster: Cell-based and plant-based meatA cluster of topics related to cultured meat, plant-based meat, and cellular agriculture.
- Cell-based meatCell-based meat, also known as cultured meat or clean meat, is meat that is comprised of muscle tissue grown from cultured cells.
- Cellular Agriculture Society (CAS)The Cellular Agriculture Society (CAS) is an international non-profit organization seeking to support the development and commercialization of cellular agriculture and cell-based meat products and technologies.
- Memphis MeatsCompany making cultured meat based in San Francisco founded by Uma Valeti, Nicholas Genovese and Will Clem.
- Mission BarnsMission Barns is a clean meat company company is headquartered in Berkeley, California producing clean meat. The company was founded in March, 2018, by Eitan Fischer (former director of cellular agriculture of JUST, Inc) and David Bowman.
- Finless FoodsFinless Foods is a biotechnology company producing cultured marine animal food products through implementing cellular agriculture and manufacturing technologies.
- Perfect Day FoodsPerfect Day Foods (formerly Muufri) engineered yeast capable of producing the proteins found in cows milk. They use these proteins to make their own line of animal-free dairy products.
- The Good Food InstituteAn organization promoting clean meat, plant-based meat, and clean eggs and dairy as alternatives to traditional animal-based products.