SOFWERX is an organization offering a platform for solving warfighters' challenges through rapid prototyping, networking events, ideation, and collaboration. It was created through a Partnership Intermediary Agreement between the United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) and DEFENSEWERX. SOFWERX stated goal is to ‘create and maintain a platform to accelerate delivery of innovative capabilities to US Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) and facilitate capability refinement through exploration, experimentation, and assessment of promising technology. Within the SOFWERX organization, there are participating members of private industry, academia, and the government, and these members are not charged a fee to be part of the SOFWERX ecosystem. SOFWERX runs a rapid prototyping workshop called the SOFWERX Foundry that offers the following capabilities:
- Iron workers
- Manual lathe/mill
- CNC lathe/mill
- Plasma cutter
- Horizontal bandsaw
- Drill press
- Hydraulic compress break
- 3D printers
SOFWERX also hosts events showcasing ideas, technologies, and/or companies that show promise for being accomplished by participating or being awarded FAR-based contract instruments, Other Transaction Authority (OTA) for Prototype Projects 10 USC 2371b support, prizes for technology achievements through 10 USC 2374a, and/or chances to participate in prize competitions supported by 15 USC 3719.
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- DEFENSEWERXDEFENSEWERX is a Doolittle Institute non-profit working within the defense industry.
- ERDCWERXERDCWERX is part of the DEFENSEWERX innovation network, focusing specifically on the U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center and the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Research Engineering.
- MGMWERXMGMWERX is a platform developed under a Partnership Intermediary Agreement between DEFENSEWERX and the Air Force Research Laboratory.
- U.S. Department of DefenseThe United States Department of Defense works to provide the United States' military forces needed to deter war and protect the security of the country.
- Doolittle Institute IncU.S. Air Force research laboratory innovation institute