In a 2009 review piece on alternative operating systems, TechRadar called it "tremendously impressive", noting its performance and streamlined codebase.
Pre-emptive multitasking, streams, and parallel execution of system calls
Boots in a few seconds from various devices, with support for NTFS and Ext2/3/4; can also boot from Coreboot and Windows (Windows will shut down)
Graphical user interface based on, and optimised for, VESA
Development kit: code editor with an integrated macro assembler (FASM)
Most distributions will fit on a single 1.44 MB floppy disk image
- Operating systemCollection of software that manages computer hardware resources
- SoftwareSoftware is a set of instructions, data, or programs used to operate computers and execute specific tasks.
- Open-source softwareOpen-source software is software with source code that is is publicly available under an open-source license.
- Software developmentCreation and maintaining of programs and applications
- TechnologyTechnology is the making, modification, usage, and knowledge of tools, machines, techniques, crafts, systems, and methods of organization
- Elementary OSLinux distribution based on Ubuntu LTS. It promotes itself as a "thoughtful, capable, and ethical" replacement to macOS and Windows and has a pay-what-you-want model. The operating system, the desktop environment (called Pantheon), and accompanying applications are developed and maintained by Elementary, Inc.
- SolusIndependently developed operating system for the x86-64 architecture based on the Linux kernel and a choice of the homegrown Budgie desktop environment, GNOME, MATE or KDE Plasma as the desktop environment.
- Zorin OSLinux distribution based on Ubuntu. It uses a GNOME 3 or XFCE 4 desktop environment as default, although the desktop is heavily customized in order to help Windows and macOS users transition to Linux easily.
- Fedora (operating system)Linux distribution developed by the Fedora Project which is sponsored primarily by Red Hat (an IBM subsidiary) with additional support and sponsors from other companies and organizations. Fedora contains software distributed under various free and open-source licenses and aims to be on the leading edge of open-source technologies.