Belozersk is one of the oldest cities in Russia. For the first time Beloozero is mentioned in the "Tale of Bygone Years" under the year 862. This settlement was located away from modern Belozersk. As the original location of the ancient city, scientists call the current place Krokhino (Belozersky district). The population of the city as of January 1, 2014 was 9,380 people. The settlement itself on the site of the current city of Belozersk – on the southern shore of the lake basin, dates back to the middle of the XII century. Since the XII century, there has been a parallel development of the city on the Sheksna River and the new city (on the White Lake). Being at a short distance from each other, they actively interacted with each other. If the old city lived at the expense of crafts and trade, then the new one (called Kargolom in a number of sources) was most likely an administrative and agricultural center. Since the end of the XI century, Beloozero was part of the Rostov-Suzdal land. Due to its remote geographical location, the city escaped the Mongol-Tatar defeat in 1238 and served as a refuge for Bishop Kirill of Rostov. The formation of an independent Belozersky Principality dates back to 1238. The Belozersk Principality maintained its independence until the 1380s, when, after the death of the Belozersk princes of the senior line on the Kulikovo Field, it came under the authority of the Grand Duke of Moscow Dmitry Ivanovich Donskoy. Sources of the XIV century record the existence of two "towns" on Beloozer – the old and the new. In the "List of Russian cities far and near", among others, two towns are called "on the White Lake". Historians define the time of creation of the "List..." as the 1380s - 1390s. The last mention of the "old town of Belozersky" dates back to 1389, when it was captured and burned by the Novgorod army. All chronicle reports about Beloozer from the XV century refer to the new city. Actively contributed to the relocation of residents of Beloozer to Kargol and the epidemics of pestilence in 1352, 1363, 1364.
Since 1486, Beloozero (the name of the old town passed to Kargolom) has become the center of Belozersky county. At the end of the XV century, at the behest of the Grand Duke of Moscow Ivan III, thirty-meter earthen ramparts and wooden walls with eight towers were built here.
XV-XVI centuries – the heyday of the city. The city of Beloozero, being in the center of trade routes, conducted active trade and acted as an intermediary in many trade operations. During this period, the city was gradually rebuilt and decorated with stone temples. In 1612, of all the northern cities, Beloozero was the first to suffer from Polish-Lithuanian invaders. On July 10, 1612, "There was no one to stand against Lithuanian and Russian thieves," out of 150 Streltsy who were available on Beloozere, 100 were sent to the Cherepovets zaseka "to protect from thieves' people." Voivode Stepan Chepchugov fled to the protection of the walls and garrison of the Kirillo-Belozersky monastery. Abandoned to the mercy of fate, the residents of the city "ran away from fear." The interventionists entered the city almost without a fight. Beloozero was looted, a significant part of it was burned out, the population was partly slaughtered. In 1690, a wooden church of St. Elijah the Prophet was built on the site where a small battle between the Belozers and the Poles took place, which has survived to this day. By the beginning of the XVII century, due to the relocation of the trade route to Arkhangelsk through the Sukhona and Northern Dvina rivers, the previously flourishing Beloozero was gradually falling into decline. The city turned out to be away from the main directions of the country's trade and economic life. Under Ivan IV , it became a place of exile for disgraced nobles . Only in the second half of the XVII century Beloozero begins to rebuild again. The changes that took place in the country in the XVIII century were reflected in the Belozersk region. Since 1719, the city has been the center of the province, which was part of the St. Petersburg province. In 1776, Beloozero became a county town of the Novgorod viceroyalty, and in 1777 it received its modern name - Belozersk. At that time there were 22 temples in the city, 16 of them stone. There were 27 streets, on which 439 houses were located. The number of inhabitants of the city was 3193 souls of both sexes. Mostly (2818 souls) these were representatives of the merchant (second and third guilds, including the female) class and the petty bourgeois (1389 souls). The development of the city was promoted by the Mariinsky water system, which began operating in 1810, and the last of its structures – the Belozersky Bypass Canal - was opened in 1846. Logging industries have been developed. The products of the forest industry began to be transported by water to St. Petersburg. After the opening of the Volga-Baltic Waterway, the ties of the ancient city with other economic regions of the country increased. In 1855-1863, the leader of the nobility of the Belozersky district was an outstanding figure of that time, Nikolai Alexandrovich Kachalov, a close friend of the tsar. At the beginning of the XX century, urban development was somewhat enriched by a number of wooden two-story merchant houses. At the beginning of the XX century, there were 17 stone temples, one wooden church, one stone chapel and one wooden one in the city. The city territory was divided into 54 blocks. Industry, even local, in the city did not receive any development, which was due to the distance of the city from railway transport routes and the decline of trade by waterways.
In Soviet times, the Churches of the Nativity of Christ, the Resurrection, the Ascension, the Annunciation, the Cathedral of Basil the Great (Caesarea) were completely lost; the Church of John the Theologian was rebuilt. The churches of the Savior on the Mountain (Trinity) and Paraskeva Fridays are in a ruined state.
«Литературное наследие Белозерья» представили в музее
January 1, 1970
БЕЛОЗЕРСК И БЕЛОЕ ОЗЕРО!
August 1, 2021
Город Белозерск-обзор. Город без светофоров.
September 16, 2021
Литературный семинар в Белозерске объединил молодых прозаиков и поэтов из разных городов страны
January 1, 1970
Поэтический онлайн-марафон памяти поэта Алексея Шадринова проводит Белозерский музей
January 1, 1970