a16z crypto is a California based venture fund from Andreessen Horowitz announced on June 25th, 2018 that is dedicated to investing $300M in cryptocurrency companies and protocols. The team includes Chris Dixon, Ali Yahya, Hilary Kivitz, Jesse Walden, Denis Nazarov, Corban Bell, and Katie Haun. a16z crypto is led by Chris Dixon and Katie Haun, a former prosecutor who helped bring prosecute corrupt agents on the Silk Road task force. Haun is the first female general partner at Andreessen Horowitz.
The crypto fund will invest in companies and protocols at all stages, from seed-stage pre-launch projects to fully developed later-stage networks like Bitcoin and Ethereum. The firm said 'it plans to hold investments for over 10 years'. Their stated plan is to invest consistently over time, even in the event of a "crypto winter".
Andreessen Horowitz has also invested in a number of company, including crypto exchange Coinbase.
Haun's was also the DOJ's first coordinator for digital assets, and she led investigations into the Mt. Gox hack. Haun is also a lecturer at Stanford Business School and she's a director on the board of the digital exchange Coinbase, which was backed early on by a16z and is where Haun got to know Dixon, who is also on the board.
Andreessen Horowitz has a new crypto fund — and its first female general partner is running it with Chris Dixon
Andreessen Horowitz Has Launched a $300 Million Crypto Fund - CoinDesk
Andreessen Horowitz is launching a $300 million fund to invest in crypto — and it hired its first-ever female general partner to lead the effort
Introducing a16z crypto
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- Andreessen Horowitz (a16z)Andreessen Horowitz (also named a16z) is a US venture capital firm, founded by Marc Andresseen and Ben Horowitz in 2009.
- Chris DixonAmerican businessman
- CryptocurrencyA cryptocurrency (or crypto currency) is a digital asset designed to work as a medium of exchange using cryptography to secure the transactions and to control the creation of additional units of the currency. Cryptocurrencies are a subset of alternative currencies, or specifically of digital currencies.
- BitcoinBitcoin is a cryptocurrency and a digital payment system invented by an unknown programmer, or a group of programmers, under the name Satoshi Nakamoto. It was released as open-source software in 2009.
- BlockchainA blockchain is an append-only digital ledger storing a set of time-ordered transactions grouped in blocks that are linked together using cryptographic hashes.
- Show More