On November 26, 1842, a French priest, Rev. Edward Sorin, C.S.C., and seven companions, all of them members of the recently established Congregation of Holy Cross, took possession of 524 acres that the Bishop of Vincennes had given them in the Indiana mission fields.
Father Sorin named the school in honor of Our Lady in his native tongue, "L'Université de Notre Dame du Lac" (The University of Our Lady of the Lake). On January 15, 1844, the University was officially chartered by the Indiana legislature.
Documentaries, videos and podcasts