The Very Good Butchers are a Canadian plant-based meat company, vegan butcher shop, and restaurant operating out of Victoria, British Columbia. The company was founded in 2016 by James Davidson and Tania Friesen. The Very Good Butchers officially opened up their restaurant, vegan butcher shop, and production facility on February 25, 2017, at the Victoria Public Market in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada — becoming the first vegan butcher shop to open up in western Canada.
The Very Good Butchers began selling their vegan and vegetarian products at a local farmers market on Denman Island in British Columbia in early 2016. With each visit to Deman Island farmers market, The very Good Butcher was selling out within a few hours. Founders James Davidson and Tania Friesen met Mitchell Scott in the fall of 2016 and hired him for a business operations and marketing position in hopes of growing the company.
The Very Good Butchers launched a crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter running from August 5, 2017 - September 11, 2017 (37 days). The company crowdfunded CA$64,293 from 700 backers.
Currently, no events have been added to this timeline yet.
Be the first one to add some.
Co-Founder, Chef, Product and Menu Development
Business Operations and Marketing
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- Cluster: Cell-based and plant-based meatA cluster of topics related to cultured meat, plant-based meat, and cellular agriculture.
- CompanyA company, abbreviated 'co.', is a legal entity made up of an association of people, be they natural, legal, or a mixture of both, for carrying on a commercial or industrial enterprise.
- VeganismVeganism is the practice of abstaining from the use of animal products
- Plant-based dietPlants as primary food source for animals and humans
- Plant-based meatPlant-based meat products are made to mimic properties found within natural meats and are considered to be meat substitutes. They are made using plant and other non-animal products to look, taste, and feel like meat products. Examples include: seitan, falafel, tempeh, Tofurky, Beyond Meat burgers, and Mock duck.