Terramino Foods makes non-GMO meat alternatives, and meat free alternative seafood products, from a protein rich and nutrient dense fungi. The company was founded in 2017 by Kimberlie Le and Joshua Nixon, and is located in San Leandro, California. According to Terramino Foods, the fungi they are using to create alternative meat and seafoods naturally mimics valued properties of meat products in taste, texture, and nutrition.
Terramino Foods first product is a fungi based salmon burger that is similar in taste, texture, and macronutrient profile to regular salmon burgers. One of the supporting investors of Terramino Foods from the Collaborative Fund told reporters "As avid investors in meat alternatives, we were blown away by the taste and texture of Terramino’s salmon burgers and we’re excited to support Kim and Josh as they build a world-class team to create a new category in food." after sampling a alternative salmon burger made by Tarramino Foods.
Seed round 1
Seed round 2
On July 24, 2018, Terrimino Foods closed their second seed funding round raising $4,500,000 in capital from True Ventures and Collaborative Fund. Terramino Foods plans to use their new funding to continue developing their fungi based sustainable meat alternative products.
Fungi-based meat alternative start-up raises $4.25 million
Students Develop Plant-Based Burger That Mimics Salmon
This Salmon Burger Tastes Like The Real Thing (But It’s Actually Fungi And Algae)
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- Cellular agricultureCellular agriculture is an interdisciplinary scientific field drawing from several disciplines such as synthetic biology, genetic engineering, molecular biology, tissue engineering, biochemistry, and food science to design organisms capable of producing a wide variety of agricultural products.
- CompanyA company, abbreviated 'co.', is a legal entity made up of an association of people, be they natural, legal, or a mixture of both, for carrying on a commercial or industrial enterprise.
- Cluster: Cell-based and plant-based meatA cluster of topics related to cultured meat, plant-based meat, and cellular agriculture.
- IndieBioA startup accelerator for biotechnology companies located in San Fransisco, California.
- Plant-based meatPlant-based meat products are made to mimic properties found within natural meats and are considered to be meat substitutes. They are made using plant and other non-animal products to look, taste, and feel like meat products. Examples include: seitan, falafel, tempeh, Tofurky, Beyond Meat burgers, and Mock duck.