Tel Aviv University is a large multidisciplinary university in Israel; the school has around 30,000 students studying across nine faculties, twenty-nine schools, 130 research institutions and ninety-eight departments. The university offers undergraduate and graduate programs as well as study abroad through their Ramat Aviv campus. They also provide a variety of short-term programs as well as doctorate and post-doctoral programs.The current president at Tel Aviv University is Ariel Porat.
The university hosts around 3,000 international students every year through TAU International, which provides undergraduate, graduate, masters, and doctoral programs and English-led curriculum.
The nine faculties housed by the university include:
- Exact Sciences
- Life Sciences
- Social Sciences
#8 of Top 10 Schools Producing VC-Backed Founders (Pitchbook)
#19 in Faculty Citation Impact (QS World University Rankings 2019)
#25 Asia Ranking (Times Higher Education 2020)
TAU also has an investment arm through TAU Ventures, a venture capital firm founded in 2018. The firm prefers to invest in companies operating in the technology sector.
The university was founded on August 16, 1953, when the Municipal Council of Tel Aviv-Jaffa decided to open a second University in Tel Aviv, and they changed the Biological-Pedagogical Institute into the Academic Institute of Natural Sciences. The new school would become the core of the university. It was located at the Abu Kabir campus in southern Tel Aviv and headed by Prof. Henrich Mendelssohn. In 1954 The Academic Institute of Jewish Studies was established and the university library was founded, along with new construction, research facilities, teaching staff and an increase in student numbers. In 1960, the school had seven departments authorized to grant a bachelor’s degree, one of which (microbiology) was also able to grant a master’s degree.
The first building of what was to become the TAU campus was built in 1959 to house the School of Law and Economics. The first president of the newly established Tel Aviv University was Dr. George S. Wise, in 1963. Tel Aviv University became incorporated in 1965, after first being a branch of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. The university became fully accredited in 1969, and new faculties moved to the campus Ramat Aviv campus. By 1972, TAU had grown to nine faculties and around 12,000 students. The Dr George Wise presidency ended and he became the first TAU Chancellor.
The Municipal Council of Tel Aviv-Jaffa decided to open a second Univeristy in Tel Aviv, and the Biological-Pedagogical Institute bacame the Academic Institute of Natural Sciences.
May 31, 2012
July 17, 2019
PitchBook ranks Tel Aviv University eighth in world for alumni entrepreneurship
November 29, 2021
Tel Aviv University
tel aviv university Archives - TLV1 Podcasts