SuperMeat is an Israeli biotechnology company, founded on December 15, 2015. SuperMeat is working to develop chicken meat products cultured from extracted chicken cells. The cultured chicken meat made by SuperMeat is grown from cells that are painlessly extracted from chickens without using animal serum. The company claims that their products are animal and vegetarian friendly.
On July 11, 2016 SuperMeat crowdfunded $230,000 from their campaign on Indiegogo.
In May 2018, SuperMeat announced it had raised $4,000,000 in venture capital in its seed funding round. The fundraising round was lead by New Crop Capital and Stray Dog capital. Other participants include Seler Capital, PHW Group, and Starlight Ventures.
Soglowek is a food company based in Isreal that announced on April 20th, 2018 that it will be donating 20% of its profits from its own Zoglo's food brand to SuperMeat and featuring SuperMeat on the packaging of all their Zoglo products.
PHW-Gruppe is a German poultry producer, one of the largest in Europe, that announced an equity investment and partnership with SuperMeat on January 4, 2018. PHW-Gruppe plans on supporting SuperMeat through R&D and business strategy and help to provide Europe with clean and sustainable food.
Seed round funding
On January 2, 2018 SuperMeat closed their seed funding round with $3,000,000 in venture capital. The fundraising round was lead by New Crop Capital and Stray Dog capital. 3Other participants include Seler Capital, PHW Group, and Starlight Ventures.
Founding of SuperMeat
SuperMeat is an Israeli biotechnology company, founded on December 15, 2015.
Coming soon: chicken meat without slaughter
Abigail Klein Leichman
Lab-made meat startup SuperMeat raises $3M seed to develop ‘clean’ chicken
No harm, no fowl: Startup to grow chickenless chicken
The CEO Funding the Alt-Meat Market
These 4 Israeli Startups Are Leading Sustainability Efforts In The Food Sector
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
SuperMeat on why meat companies are interested in clean meat
SuperMeat on why we have to change meat production
August 10, 2017
SuperMeat: Pros and Cons
July 30, 2016
- Cluster: Synthetic biologyA cluster of topics related to synthetic biology.
- StartupA startup company is an entrepreneurial venture in the initial stage of its operations. Startups are typically young businesses aiming to grow quickly and meet a marketplace need by developing or offering an innovative product, process or service.
- Cellular agricultureCellular agriculture is an interdisciplinary scientific field drawing from several disciplines such as synthetic biology, genetic engineering, molecular biology, tissue engineering, biochemistry, and food science to design organisms capable of producing a wide variety of agricultural products.
- Cultured meatCultured meats are animal flesh products made from extracted animal cells that are grown in bioreactors and harvested for consumption. Cells are taken from animals such as a chickens, cows, or tuna, and grown using scaffolding and/or self-organizing constructs in bioreactors.
- Cluster: Cell-based and plant-based meatA cluster of topics related to cultured meat, plant-based meat, and cellular agriculture.