Rebellyous Foods (formerly Seattle Food Tech) is a plant-based, meat alternative food company. They use an low-energy manufacturing process to produce their meat alternatives. Rebellyous Food's goal is to provide plant-based meat that is sustainable, affordable and widely available.
Christie Lagally, Rebellyous Foods founder and CEO, was formerly a mechanical engineer with Boeing on their 777 project, and worked at the Good Food Institute, is as interested in developing new technology and new production techniques. Their aim is to be able to produce their product at lower cost than traditional chicken with a similar volume output. The manufacturing equipment is meant to be standardized and replicable to expand the possibilities of Rebellyous Foods and the plant-based meat industry.
For its first product - chicken nuggets - which will initially be targeted at the high-volume end of the foodservice sector, Seattle Food Tech is using a fairly standard textured wheat protein, safflower oil, an emulsifier, some starch, vegan flavoring and some corn-breading and is designed to perform like a Tyson chicken nugget. The second product - chicken strips - has a similar formulation but also contains some soy.
Plant-based chicken nugget maker Seattle Food Tech rebrands to Rebellyous as it scales up production
Rebellyous Foods raises a $1,000,000 seed round from UpHonest Capital, Liquid 2 Ventures, Sinai Ventures and VegInvest.
Rebellyous Foods raises a $1,000,000 seed round from Sinai Ventures, Fifty Years VC, Blue Horizon Equity, Wei Guo, Kyle Vogt and UpHonest Capital.
Founder and CEO
Vice President of Business Development
Advisor and Board Member
Rebellyous Foods Is Making Plant-Based Chicken Nuggets For The Masses | CleanTechnica
January 21, 2020
Seattle Food Tech looks to replace the chicken nugget with a plant-based copycat
Seattle Food Tech Raises $1M to Jumpstart Vegan Chicken Nugget Manufacturing
Documentaries, videos and podcasts
- Cluster: Cell-based and plant-based meatA cluster of topics related to cultured meat, plant-based meat, and cellular agriculture.
- Food Tech
- CompanyA company, abbreviated 'co.', is a legal entity made up of an association of people, be they natural, legal, or a mixture of both, for carrying on a commercial or industrial enterprise.
- Impossible FoodsImpossible Foods is a plant-based meat company making meat and dairy products that are made to look and feel like animal products by manufacturing heme, the oxygen binding molecule found in blood, using engineered yeast grown in bioreactors.
- Fifty Years VCFifty Years is a venture capital seed fund based in San Francisco, California founded by Seth Bannon and Ela Madej in 2016 and focuses on investing in the impact technology market.
- VegInvestVegInvest is a venture capital firm making early stage capital investments in companies working towards replacing animal products.
- Y CombinatorY Combinator (also known as YC) is a US based seed accelerator, which was started in March 2005.