Rani Therapeutics is biotherapeutics company based in San Jose, California. It develops novel approaches for the oral delivery of peptides, proteins, and therapeutic antibodies that can normally only be delivered through injections. The approach and technology for Rani Therapeutics was developed at InCube Labs, a multidisciplinary R&D lab focused on developing medical innovations.
It's main product, Rani's 'robotic' pill is a device which navigates through the stomach and enters the small intestine. The capsule then goes through a transformation and aligns itself and injects the drug into the intestinal wall. Rani has identified several potential molecules to be used with the RaniPill:
- Ocreotide - lowers levels of excess growth hormones for the treatment of acromegaly, a disorder characterized by enlargement of face, hands, and feet.
- Basal Insulin - used in diabetes management as a way to regulate glucose levels in between meals.
- GLP-1 - a class of drugs used in the treatment of Type II diabetes and obesity.
- Parathyroid Hormone (PTH) - commonly used for the treatment of osteoporosis, PTH increases the concentration of calcium in the blood by acting upon the parathyroid hormone 1 & 2 receptor.
- Human Growth Hormone (HGH) - a peptide hormone that stimulates growth, cell reproduction, and regeneration, and is used in the treatment of growth disorders and growth deficiency.
- Human Interferon beta-1a - a cytokine or small protein in the interferon family used for the treatment of multiple sclerosis.
- TNF-alpha (TNFa) Inhibitors - supresses response to tumor necrosis factor, part of the inflammatory response. Used to treat a number of inflammatory disorders including rheumatoid arthritis and Crohn's disease.
- Interleukin Antibodies - various antibodies targeting specific interleukins for the treatment of various inflammatory diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis, Chrohn's disease, and psoriasis.
- PCSK9 - a treatment for cardiovascular disease that is often used with other therapies like statins to lower low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) for patients with hyperlipidemia.
Senior Director of Strategy & Program Management
Associate VP of Quality Assurance
Dr. Rudi Ruffy
Chief Scientific Officer
Chairman & CEO
VP of Business Development
Associate VP of Manufacturing
Shire and Rani Therapeutics Enter into Collaboration to Evaluate Use of the Rani Pill(TM) Technology for the Oral Delivery of Factor Therapy
Shire Pharmaceuticals Group
Documentaries, videos and podcasts